Architectural lighting–product engineer
Brooklyn, New York, United States
We believe in the power of light to create atmosphere.
Design enhances everyday life and everything we do supports our mission — to bring excellent design and light to hospitality and workplace environments. Join us at Rich Brilliant Willing as we design and manufacture lighting using technology, simplicity and creativity. We are expanding our product offering and looking for an experienced architectural lighting product designer to bring new ideas to life. We are a tightly knit team of high performing individuals who demand quality in our output - we are looking for the right team member who shares our passion for light, qaulity and excellence.
As lighting design engineer, you will report to Theo Richardson, director of development and Odile Liu, product development project manager.
In the capacity of lighting design engineer, your primary goal will be the development of architectural lighting fixtures. A focus will be placed on short product cycles to quickly expand the RBW product collection. Key performance Indicators include timely launch of products, number of products launched annually and number of revisions post product launch.
Key ownership areas:
Lighting design engineer
- develop a product from concept to successful commercialization within established timeframes. There will be multiple, concurrent projects
- project leadership: Assist w strategy, planning, and drive individual projects to meet milestones and market launch timelines
- product engineering: Engineering design and detailing for a range of lighting products, cross-functional collaboration at times
- design for Manufacturing (DFM) – Execute and deliver production-ready 3D CAD files and Bills of Materials, including components and material specifications, tolerances, and finishes. Sole responsibility.
- coordinate the fabrication of models or samples, from sketches. Revise and iterate models, samples and drawings. Collaborative at times
- use analytical skills to evaluate and resolve technical feasibility, design optimization, and production issues
- implements and maintains consistent engineering practices, standards, and documentation procedures and reporting systems (e.g. structured product development processes and gate reviews; engineering change flow down; knowledge databases)
- technology development: Identify and develop technologies that can be applied to emerging hospitality / architectural lighting markets in various areas including hotels, condominiums, workplace, and the smart home
- skill building and facilities: Build and integrate engineering and design for manufacture capabilities within the company. Procure, maintain, and evolve computer, shop, and lab equipment
- potential trade show attendance and support
- potential travel, manage with prototype vendors and collaborate with internal vendor management
- use project management tools to share status throughout the team
Qualifications and experience required
- three plus years experience in architectural lighting
- bachelors and/or advanced degree in mechanical engineering
- interpret an extensive variety of technical requirements in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- demonstrated ability to develop ideas and concepts into real products
- hands-on prototyping, testing, analysis, and researchExperience guiding freelance specialist personnel and teams
- strong aesthetic sensibilityEnthusiasm for new technology, design, and innovation
- accountability, sense of humor, proactive nature and work ethic
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- self-managing and motivated
- expert in optical and thermal solutions for lighting materials and construction details
- expertise in Solidworks
- deep know-how in design for manufacturing of high volume products, including tooling, production, and assembly processes for casting, milling, and extrusion techniques in metal and plastic
- extensive knowledge of PCBs, ICs, driver and dimming types
- extensive knowledge of prototyping processes, including rapid prototyping
- hands-on machine shop experience; ability to create through physical fabrication
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent health care options. ten day PTO (increasing annually) plus ten days of recognized company holiday. 401k and profit-sharing plan.
Interested in working with RBW? Start by telling us about yourself, begin your application today.
Application deadline: 7 May 2017
How to apply
Apply online via: https://richbrilliantwilling.com/pages/apply