Al Khayalee is looking for a head of design and planning to join its team in Dubai.
To provide technical direction and leadership to the design team in order to ensure that client’s needs are met within the approved budget, schedule, quality and safety requirements.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
Strategy and plans:
- as a senior member of the Al Khayalee team, contributes to the formulation and implementation of the Al Khayalee’s strategy and plans
- controls all budgets under area of responsibilities and contributes to setting them in order to ensure that budgets reflects client’s needs and that variance is minimised
- provides day-to-day direction and works with the designer team to ensure a high performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving the department’s and Al Khayalee’s mission, objectives, and values
- regularly meets with clients to understand and take their design orders in order to ensure delivered work meets their needs
- reviews submitted designs and mock-ups of designers and provides comments and improvements to ensure that the client’s themes are captured and that the designs are in compliance with business needs and requirements
- Present design mock-ups to clients and collect their feedback to ensure final product meets their needs
- liaises with other departmental managers/supervisors (e.g. production managers, finance manager, etc.) as well as outside vendors to coordinate logistics and ensure that all work delivered meets the need of clients
- participates in the selection of various subcontractors and outsourced service providers in order to strengthen the selection process and ensure quality output
- ensures that deliveries from service providers are in line with the agreed design specifications to meet the client’s design objectives and requirements
- contributes to the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices taking into account ‘international best practice’, cost reduction and productivity improvement
- keeps abreast of the local and international market trends and improvements and proposes the development of ‘state of the art’ solutions, products, and services, in order to meet business requirements with the most efficient and cost effective way
- provide leadership and direction to subordinates towards the achievement of departmental goals and objectives
- guide and motivate subordinates to enhance performance and produce quality work
- performs other related duties and or assignments as may be directed by the managing director
Education – bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related art field.
Experience – 7-10 years of professional experience in a designer position within a reputed organisation, with at least five years of experience in a people management role.
Job specific skills:
- knowledge of design principles, practices and techniques
- understanding of various scheduling and costing approaches
- leadership skills
- planning, decision making, problem solving and organisational skills
- experience with design software, such as AutoCAD (structural detailer), illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- good interpersonal skills and confidence to communicate effectively with other staff/departments and clients
- communication and presentation skills
- decision making and problem solving skills
- customer focus