Architype is looking for a BIM manager to join its team in Edinburgh, UK.
Architype is seeking new staff who share our passion for high quality design, to join our expanding team delivering a growing portfolio of projects across the whole of the UK.
Architype offers exceptional opportunities to be involved in projects at the cutting edge of zero carbon and sustainability.
Architype is the UK’s leading Passivhaus architect and widely recognised for our innovative approach including Education Architect of the Year, highly commended AJ100 Practice of the Year, 2022 RIBA National Award and 2022 BCO National Award, and National Test of Time Award.
Our approach is inclusive and collaborative.
We are looking for the following role: BIM manager based at our Edinburgh studio.
Architype has an open and collaborative ethos with a common purpose – to deliver fantastic architecture that performs exactly as predicted. We have steadily grown over the last 35 years and are now a team of 90+ collaborating across three studios in Edinburgh, Hereford and London.
Architype has a rich history of pioneering low carbon design and a clear focus on how buildings work for people and the planet. We masterplan and design a wide range of buildings across the education, university, housing, community and cultural sectors. Our consultancy service PERFORM+ enables us to offer insight and cutting-edge technical expertise to clients.
Working culture at Architype is creative and caring. We work in a collaborative and supportive way that encourages fresh ideas and career progression, and we support flexible working for all.
Architype is regularly featured in the top 5 of Building’s Employer of the Year. We are 30% owned by the staff through an Employee Benefit Trust and are committed to becoming 100% employee owned in the future – it is why we call ourselves “co-owners”.
Architype is currently evolving a hybrid working policy to enable staff to work flexibly from both home and from our studios. In Edinburgh we are occupying an exciting new studio space in Leith. All co-owners are fully supported with equipment to enable hybrid working and are integrated into our collaborative team culture both on and offline.
- a competitive salary
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
- 37.5 hour week – flexible/hybrid working possible
- pension benefits of 3% employer contribution and access to a company health scheme and cycle to work scheme
Architype is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and staff engagement forums, to support staff from different backgrounds.
Please can we ask that you complete our anonymous equality and diversity monitoring form by clicking here.
To apply please:
- we welcome applications from all nationalities; however, we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for this role, so before you apply for this post, please ensure that you have the right to work in the UK. For more details on eligibility to work in the UK, please click here
- send a 300-word statement, setting out how you meet the criteria in the job specification along with your CV and a brief portfolio (max size 5MB) via the apply for job button below
- note: you must state, in the subject line of your email, the office location (Edinburgh), and the job role you are interested in (BIM manager). Without this information in the subject heading, we will be unable to sift your application correctly and it may be missed
This post will be offered as a permanent contract, subject to a probationary period.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 6 January 2023. The interview will be w/c 16 or 23 January 2023.
Note that all applications will be treated in accordance with our GDPR policy. For more information, please click here.
Job role and responsibilities:
Your role as BIM Manager will involve working with the senior management team, including the head of technical to develop and implement the digital technology strategy and promoting the benefits of digital ways of working.
- developing, implementing and supporting BIM and information management vision, strategic aspirations, documentation, processes and protocols for the practice
- support the management and project delivery teams with the ability to review, advise and mitigate risk
- acting as the intermediary between designers, clients, and architects so that projects remain efficient and effective
- supporting the running of information management projects for a variety of internal teams and clients
- be familiar with clash detection and data checking processes
- exporting and federating COBie spreadsheets for construction projects
- host BIM kick-off meetings with all project members
- assist internal project teams review, comment and agree the BIM processes in response to project specific needs and requirements
- auditing the project teams and supporting the resolution of any non-compliances
- keeping abreast of relevant legislative changes, industry issues and developments in best practice
- positively contributing to and participating in internal/external training initiatives
- proactive team member, willing to learn and contribute to the wider Architype team including raising the profile of BIM and information management across the wider practice
- experience of working in the architectural or engineering industry
- you will be expected to have at least two plus years’ experience working in a BIM related role with project delivery experience
- experience in carrying out BIM technical document review, analysis and audits
- you will also be expected to have proven competence the following software’s. Autodesk Design Suite and Microsoft 365 applications
- foundational knowledge around computational analysis, i.e, Rhino3D and Grasshopper, Python, Visual Programming, Excel and/or PowerBI
- fluency and experience with BIM collaborative working processes and how it is relevant in architectural practice (UK BIM Framework, BS EN ISO 19650)
- familiarity with the Uniclass 2015 Classification System
- high standard of proficiency in oral and written communication as well as excellent interpersonal and client facing skills
This role has excellent prospects for an individual who has a desire to progress and enjoys working collaboratively within a team. As well as technical competence, we are looking for someone with the ability to think laterally, who possesses excellent communication skills, has strong commercial awareness, and will provide a premium service to our clients.
- experience of managing a staff team
- experience of developing and delivering BIM training