Architype is seeking Part 2 architectural assistants to join its teams across the UK.
Architype is seeking new staff who share our passion for high quality design, to join our expanding team delivering a growing portfolio of projects across the whole of the UK.
Architype offers exceptional opportunities to be involved in projects at the cutting edge of zero carbon and sustainability.
Architype is the UK’s leading Passivhaus Architect and widely recognised for our innovative approach including Education Architect of the Year, highly commended AJ100 Practice of the Year, 2022 RIBA London and Sustainability Award and 2022 South of England and South Wales BCO award.
Our approach is inclusive and collaborative.
We are looking for Part Ones in our Edinburgh, Hereford or London studios.
Architype has an open and collaborative ethos with a common purpose – to deliver fantastic architecture that performs exactly as predicted. We have steadily grown over the last 35 years and are now a team of 80+ collaborating across three studios in Edinburgh, Hereford and London.
Architype has a rich history of pioneering low carbon design and a clear focus on how buildings work for people and the planet. We masterplan and design a wide range of buildings across the education, university, housing, community and cultural sectors. Our consultancy service PERFORM+ enables us to offer insight and cutting-edge technical expertise to clients.
Working culture at Architype is creative and caring. We work in a collaborative and supportive way that encourages fresh ideas and career progression, and we support flexible working for all.
Architype is regularly featured in the top five of Building’s Employer of the Year. We are 30% owned by the staff through an Employee Benefit Trust and are committed to becoming 100% employee owned in the future.
Architype is currently evolving a hybrid working policy to enable staff to work flexibly from both home and from our studios. In Edinburgh we will be occupying an exciting new studio space in early August. In Hereford our studio is based in the beautiful Herefordshire countryside. In London we are experimenting with a shared working solution. All staff are fully supported with equipment to enable hybrid working and are integrated into our collaborative team culture both on and offline. You do not need to be resident in these three specific places but it would be useful if you were based in one of these general regions: West of England/Wales, Scotland, Greater London/South East.
A competitive salary which is aligned to the annual RIBA salary bandings survey. This is currently in the following ranges:
- London: £29,000 – £37,000
- Edinburgh: £26,500 – £34,500
- Hereford: £24,000 – £32,000
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
- 37.5 hour week – flexible working possible
- pension benefits of 3% employer contribution and access to a company health scheme and cycle to work scheme
Job description and specification
A validated part 2 degree holder, Part 2 architectural assistants will be entrusted with day to day contact with clients and design teams and through their projects will assist in the furtherance of the strategic direction of the practice, its design ethos and quality management systems.
Part 2 architectural assistants will be expected to set and maintain high standards of design and assist in the establishment of sustainability targets for their projects. In general Part 2 architectural assistants will be expected to keep abreast of current legislation and government policies in respect of the built environment and contribute to topical professional debate, seminars internal project reviews and CPD’s as appropriate.
Part 2 architectural assistants may be expected to work on a number of separate projects and will be expected to assist the project architect to ensure that every project attains the highest design standard and is delivered in a profitable way.
Part 2 architectural assistants will be expected to be proficient in either of the key CAD programmes used by Architype – currently Vectorworks 2011 or Revit. They will also be expected to be proficient in Word, Excel, Filemaker and a basic proficiency in Powerpoint and InDesign.
In addition, Part 2 architectural assistants have the following responsibilities:
- assist and support directors and senior staff in their tasks of winning work and managing the finances of the practice
- contribute in staff training and personal development
- assist with the development of client contacts, identification of work opportunities and preparation of submission documents
- implement the Quality [ISO 9001] and Environmental [ISO 14001] management system in respect of project work under their control and general aspects for which they may be responsible including specifically – filling out improvement logs and assisting in and maintaining the project design quality statement
- provide information on their projects to assist in the programming and resource allocation/management
- attend and contribute to regular design reviews
- assist as required with the preparation and distribution of marketing material
- a validated Part 2 degree holder (essential)
- be proficient in 3D CAD programmes (essential) with Revit skill (desirable)
- be proficient in Word, Excel, Filemaker (essential)
- have basic proficiency in Powerpoint and InDesign (essential)
- a commitment to genuine sustainability (essential)
- enjoy working in a team environment (essential)
- commitment to alignment with Architype’s core values as a creative, ecological, progressive community (essential)
Architype is an Equal Opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and staff engagement forums, to support staff from different backgrounds.
Please can we ask that you complete our anonymous equality and diversity monitoring form by clicking here.
To apply please:
- send a 300 word statement, setting out how you meet the criteria in the job
specification along with your CV and a brief portfolio (max size 5mB)
- note: you must state, in the subject line of your email, your preferred office location (Edinburgh/Hereford/London), and the job role you are interested in (Part 2). Without this information in the subject heading we will be unable to sift your application correctly and it may be missed
These posts will initially be offered as one-year contracts with the option of further extension.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 8 July 2022. The interview will be via VC in the week of 18 July 2022.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we are sorry we cannot respond to all applications, so if you do not hear from us after the interview date above please assume that you have been unsuccessful.
Note that all applications will be treated in accordance with our GDPR policy.