Architype is hiring a senior architectural technologist to join its team in Edinburgh, UK.
Architype is seeking new staff who share our passion for high quality design, to join our expanding team delivering a growing portfolio of projects across the whole of the UK.
Architype offers exceptional opportunities to be involved in projects at the cutting edge of zero carbon and sustainability.
Architype is the UK’s leading Passivhaus Architect and widely recognised for our innovative approach including Education Architect of the Year, highly commended AJ100 Practice of the Year, 2022 RIBA London and Sustainability Award and 2022 South of England and South Wales BCO award.
Our approach is inclusive and collaborative.
We are looking for a senior architectural technologist in our Edinburgh office.
Architype has an open and collaborative ethos with a common purpose – to deliver fantastic architecture that performs exactly as predicted.
We have steadily grown over the last 35 years and are now a team of 80+ collaborating across three studios in Edinburgh, Hereford and London.
Architype has a rich history of pioneering low carbon design and a clear focus on how buildings work for people and the planet. We masterplan and design a wide range of buildings across the education, university, housing, community and cultural sectors. Our consultancy service PERFORM+ enables us to offer insight and cutting-edge technical expertise to clients.
Working culture at Architype is creative and caring. We work in a collaborative and supportive way that encourages fresh ideas and career progression, and we support flexible working for all.
Architype is regularly featured in the top 5 of Building’s Employer of the Year. We are 30% owned by the staff through an Employee Benefit Trust and are committed to becoming 100% employee owned in the future.
Architype is currently evolving a hybrid working policy to enable staff to work flexibly from both home and from our studios. In Edinburgh we will be occupying an exciting new studio space in early August. All staff are fully supported with equipment to enable hybrid working and are integrated into our collaborative team culture both on and offline. You do not need to be resident in Edinburgh but it would be useful to be located in Scotland.
- a competitive salary which is aligned to the annual RIBA salary bandings survey. This is currently in the following range : £39,350 to £52,750
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
- 37.5 hour week – flexible working possible
- pension benefits of 3% employer contribution and access to a company health scheme and cycle to work scheme
Job description and specification
The architectural technologist role is a fantastic opportunity to support some of the most innovative initiatives in the UK, contribute your ideas to the UK’s most sustainable design practice, and work in
a practice that cares about you and our impact on the planet.
The ideal architectural technologist will be a member of CIAT or will be in the process of becoming a member. You will have a proven track record of working on the design and delivery of a variety of project types through all RIBA work stages.
However, we are welcoming applications from Junior Architectural Technologists to more experienced Senior Architectural Technologist candidates.
You will be expected to be highly proficient in the use of Revit and ideally will have a good understanding of Passivhaus design and detailing as well as building physics knowledge.
- to support the head of technical in managing and contributing to technical advice and issues for the practice, which will also include supporting the delivery of technical design across a range of projects
- to support the delivery of production information during the construction phase of projects, and contribute to site works, including making site visits and inspections
- to promote best practice in the use of the various BIM authoring software’s in line with Architype’s digital production standards
The successful applicant will work directly with the head of technical and the team of project architects – collating, organising, investigating and producing technical information for use during the development of the project design.
- developing the architectural design with project team members including the collating and organising of technical information
- investigating technical information and factors that affect projects
- preparing and presenting design proposals, detail design and production information using our BIM authoring software, Revit, in line with Architype’s digital production standards
- advising the project lead regarding the programming of deliverables
- contributing to the detailed design process and coordinating detailed design
- making site visits and recording findings of site inspections
- attending meetings, recording minutes and preparing associated documentation
- adhering to Architype’s internal policies, e.g. quality assurance, BIM Protocols etc.
- undertake structured Continued Professional Development (CPD)
- the above-mentioned tasks are a summary of the key responsibilities involved. However, the post holder may be asked to carry out other tasks as directed by Architype’s senior management
- expected to be proficient and lead in the use of our BIM authoring software; Revit for preparation of design development outputs, technical production outputs and documentation
- have fluency and experience with BIM collaborative working processes (UK BIM Framework, BS EN ISO 19650)
- full knowledge and strong understanding of the UK building regulations
- expected to have proven competence using the following software’s: Revit, Navisworks/BIMcollab and Microsoft 365 applications
- familiarity with specification writing and using the NBS Chorus and Uniclass 2015 Classification System
- an analytical mind with strong problem-solving ability, including a strong detailing ability and process improvement skills
- high levels of technical creativity, imagination and vision including excellent presentation and graphical communication skills
- the ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team
- excellent ability to shift focus between changing priorities
- highly personable, ability to liaise with client and stakeholders
- a commitment to genuine sustainability
- being a member of CIAT or in the process of becoming a member.
- commitment to alignment with Architype’s core values
- CEPH designer qualification
- two plus years’ experience of working as an Architectural Technologist or similar technical role
- Passivhaus/building physics knowledge
- knowledge and specialisms in a variety of construction methods.
- experience in WUFI Hygrothermal Analysis and/or Thermal Bridging Analysis
- experience with computational design skills including Rhino+Grasshopper, Dynamo
- experience of sustainable/environmental design.
- interest in data management
Architype is an Equal Opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and staff engagement forums, to support staff from different backgrounds.
Please can we ask that you complete our anonymous equality and diversity monitoring form by clicking here.
To apply please:
Submit a 300 word statement, setting out how you meet the criteria in the job specification along with your CV and a brief portfolio (max size 5mB).
Note: You must state, in the subject line of your email, the job role you are interested in (senior technologist). Without this information in the subject heading we will be unable to sift your application correctly and it may be missed.
These posts will initially be offered as one-year contracts with the option of further extension.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 8 July 2022. The interview will be via VC in the week of 18 July 2022.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we are sorry we cannot respond to all applications, so if you do not hear from us after the interview date above please assume that you have been unsuccessful.
Note that all applications will be treated in accordance with our GDPR policy.