BDP is seeking an associate landscape architect to join its team in Bristol, UK.
About the role
We are currently seeking to appoint an associate landscape architect to join the landscape and urbanism team in our Bristol studio. This role will suit an experienced and well-established senior landscape architect, who is looking for the next step in their career. Alternatively, an associate landscape architect who is seeking a new challenge, within a multi disciplinary studio environment with the opportunity to work globally and locally.
In this exciting role you will help run our landscape team and be involved in working on a diverse range of exciting landscape and urban design projects across all sectors including urbanism, workplace, healthcare, education, heritage, leisure and residential.
Key aspects of the role:
- a passion for design and enhancing a collaborative multidisciplinary studio environment
- an ability to provide leadership and mentoring to our team, and to projects at different scales and complexities
- be a designer with strong visual and written communication skills
- ability to assist in the preparation of bid proposals and support business development and team growth
- working closely with the profession director team
- a minimum of five years’ post-chartership experience is expected, to have the skills and knowledge required to undertake this role successfully
- significant and wide-ranging experience in running and managing medium to large-scale projects from concept to delivery
- good client management and business development skills
- willingness to network with other studios and promote the profession inside and outside BDP
Passionate about design and curious in nature, we are thought pioneers, innovators, and early adopters of new technologies. In a constantly changing world we enjoy creating and delivering clever solutions that add value to our clients whilst enhancing the environment and improving the everyday lives of the communities we serve.
We have grown to be one of Europe’s largest landscape practices through our enthusiasm for collaboration, our ability to deliver quality, and our ready access to a large collective of experts. Reliability and our ability to exceed expectations affords us a special status and capability in the design world.
Widely recognised as being one of the leading landscape design consultancies in the UK. We enjoy working collaboratively with our clients, stakeholders and communities and we strive to meet aspirations through contextually responsive solutions that improve people’s lives through the delivery of improved environments that are unique, healthy, welcoming, and inclusive to all.
The great thing about working as a place maker at BDP is the variety, scale and complexity of the projects we work on. One day we can be we crafting a bespoke street furniture detail, the next strategising on entirely new settlements sometimes local sometimes global.
We are proud to have developed an award-winning portfolio of projects on a local, national and international scale. Creative about design, we enjoy a challenge and understand how to create inspirational places and landscapes from an original concept through to successful implementation. Assisted by our passion and our understanding of human behaviour, ecological science, regenerative design, politics, cost and logistics, we have an excellent track record of transforming visions and strategies into distinctive, stimulating, healthy and resilient places.
Our recent award-winning schemes have included:
- Sponge Park, our climate resilient park created in West Gorton, Manchester won the excellence in water management award in last year’s Landscape Institute Awards. The park is designed with nature-based solutions to ‘drink’ and absorb rainwater, thereby reducing flood risk
- we worked alongside artist Wolfgang Buttress to relocate the HIVE from Milan to Kew Gardens. In 2016 The Hive won a Landscape Institute Award for its immersive impact. A beacon of contemporary
art, it continues to stand tall as a striking symbol of the challenges facing bees today
- The Italian Gardens in Weston-Super-Mare won the best pedestrian environment category in the Street Design awards in 2019, they were shortlisted for the Pineapples Awards of that year
BDP offers a great opportunity for your personal development with exposure to the full range of our skills and expertise, as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, contribution towards professional subscriptions, a stimulating working environment and excellent prospects for career advancement.
BDP appreciates the importance of training to develop all of its professional staff. Becoming a member of an institution is an important milestone in anyone’s career and BDP offers encouragement, guidance, and support to achieve this goal.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- help saving for your retirement – BDP provides a Flexible Pension Allowance. You can use a salary sacrifice mechanism for funding towards independent financial advice in relation to your WorkPlace Pension Plan
- 34 days’ holiday per year – when you join. We also have a Holiday Purchase Scheme where you can buy up to five additional days
- hybrid working – we embraced a more flexible working future by creating a hybrid culture where everyone can reap the benefits of both studio and home working
- private medical insurance – we provide access to the Group Private Medical Insurance Scheme (PMI) upon having successfully completed the probation period for staff employees. The cost of employee membership is met wholly by BDP
- health screening – once every two years with BUPA
- life insurance – the cover provided is equivalent to three times basic salary
- employee profit share scheme – all employees participate automatically in BDP’s All Employees Profit Share Scheme. The purpose of the scheme is to help incentivise everyone to improve and sustain the profitability of BDP and, as a result, share in cash remuneration additional to basic salary and fixed benefits.
- wellbeing support – we provide you with 24/7 access to Validium which is an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). You can discover free mental health coaching, Debt/Finance and Legal advice through Validium
- awesome career opportunities – you will have support from your Line manager and a range of learning and development programmes
- eye care
- Prolonged Disability Insurance (Income Protection Cover)
- professional subscription
- long dervice awards
- SMART Drive and Smart Cycle to Work scheme
- prolonged Disability Insurance
- gym discounts
- season ticket loan
To apply for a role please click here and click on the apply button below the vacancy. You will then need to complete the online application form, please ensure that you attach an up-to-date CV with a cover letter (<400 words) that outlines your experience with the above job description. Please include an indication of your salary expectations and notice period in your cover letter. No agency or third party applications will be accepted.
BDP is actively fostering an inclusive organisation where people can be themselves and everyone has a sense of belonging. We want our teams to be diverse at every level, reflecting the communities we design for. As designers, we will create spaces for all that promote equity, wellbeing, and participation within the built environment. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different skills, professional and life experiences, to join us and help us to achieve our aspirations. We also welcome applications from candidates who wish to work flexibly. BDP is an equal opportunities employer