BDP is hiring Part 2 architectural assistants in Birmingham, UK.
We are seeking talented RIBA Part 2 architectural assistants to work creatively, quickly and cooperatively within a team environment to produce high quality outputs in RIBA design Stages 0-3 and to develop skills in RIBA design stages 4-7 integrated design, construction information on-site inspection and feedback.
About our company
BDP is an international interdisciplinary practice of architects, designers, engineers and urbanists working together to create outstanding ‘places for people’. We work closely with users, clients and the community to create special places for living, working, making, shopping, culture and learning.
Founded in Preston in the UK in 1961, we now have studios across the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, and the MENA region, India, Canada and China. BDP has a leading track record in all major sectors having won over 1,000 awards for design quality from our design peer group nationally and internationally.
Birmingham is one of BDP’s newer studios with a close-knit team of 27 that is growing on recent and forthcoming new commissions in residential, workplace, process, education, conservation and retail.
About the role
We are looking for creative and talented individuals who wish to develop a career with BDP. You will work creatively, quickly and co operatively within a team environment to produce high quality outputs in RIBA design Stages 0-3 and to develop your skills in RIBA design stages 4-7 integrated design, construction information on-site inspection and feedback.
Key responsibilities will include:
- concept design production from briefing information
- creation of concept 3D model options
- development of preferred concept option into presentation standard models
- rendering of model images in specialist software
- development of masterplan and building plans using 2D CAD software
- development of elevational and sectional models using 2D CAD software
- creation of CGI views using Revit base model
- post-production work in Photoshop to CGI views
- post-production work to elevations and sections created in MicroStation CAD
- development of design reports and bids in adobe InDesign
- integration of structural and M&E engineering
- manipulation and development of elements of a Revit whole building model
- development of tender package information including product selection and NBS specification
- responding to client and design team queries
- area scheduling in support of net/gross viability testing.
- attending site meetings and inspection
You will be educated to BArch/post-graduate diploma or the equivalent (RIBA Part 2) and your portfolio will illustrate clarity in design thinking and delivery of coherent, composed designs.
You will ideally have the following personal and technical skills to an advanced standard:
- you will be enthusiastic, self-motivated and have a collaborative approach
- be a clear thinker, articulate and well organised
- have a strength in architectural thinking; design strategy and architectural narrative, urban design, aesthetic/proportion, materiality and detail and the desire to realise high quality buildings
- an attractive hand drawing style or equivalent skill in quickly visualising design for clients in 3d.
- Revit software/3D CAD rendering/MicroStation or AutoCAD 2D
- Adobe Creative suite
- Microsoft Office
- be able to receive information and instructions and rapidly assimilate
- be proficient in managing your own time to meet tight deadlines and high quality outputs
- be able to develop partnerships with your team, studio colleagues and the other professions within BDP, recognising and understanding their differing requirements
- have the confidence and ability to present and explain ideas clearly and concisely
BDP offers an excellent opportunity for your personal and career development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, and contribution towards professional subscriptions. BDP also offers Employee Assistance Programme, All Employee Profit Share Scheme and Health Screening benefit.
BDP provides you with a dedicated mentor who will guide and support your progress towards professional qualification. BDP offers a Part 3 study sponsorship scheme which includes up to ten days study to attend courses/exams/review; paid course fees, a reasonable number of books, reasonable travel and accommodation for the course/exam.
BDP supports your RIBA PEDR monitoring, and provides opportunities for personal development in a professional setting. BDP offers the opportunity to work in design and across wider teams on high profile projects.
BDP has a Future Professionals Network (FPN) creating a place where everyone has the opportunity to learn, share ideas and push boundaries.
We have a social life committee which organises a wide range of social, sporting and charitable activities and a communication committee for improvement and development ideas. We have 27 staff and growing in our Birmingham studio which is located in a designated conservation area in the city centre on Edmund Street.
To apply for this role please submit a CV, and covering letter and a concise portfolio demonstrating examples of your own work and brief description of your role in each project or piece of work.
We look forward to receiving your application!
BDP is an equal opportunities employer
No agencies or third party applications please.