Junior industrial designer
at Bendtsen Design Associates
Bendtsen Design Associates is recruiting a junior interior designer to join its team in Vancouver, Canada.
Bendtsen Design Associates is an industrial design studio based in Vancouver, Canada working on the design and development of home furnishings for a roster of established international clients and serves as the lead design team for Bensen Manufacturing’s line of home furnishings.
We are currently looking for an industrial designer to fill an intermediate role supporting both our industrial design and marketing/graphic design teams.
We are a small team, so personality and fit are paramount. The role is full-time and based in our studio in Vancouver, with the possibility of occasional remote work.
Our work environment includes:
- modern office setting
- some work-from-home days
- as an industrial designer you will assist in the development of new design concepts and Bensen’s existing product line. This typically involves creating 3D models based on a hand sketch from a senior member of staff
- producing and assembling complete shop drawings for prototyping and production
- hand sketching to communicate ideas + 3D modelling to aid in visualisation
- communicate with our suppliers and manufacturers overseas to follow the process of development
- occasional work with power and hand tools to build functioning prototypes
- as a graphic designer you will assist in the design and development of brand visuals, i.e. catalogs, price lists, website, product instructions, write social media posts, etc.
Who you are:
- degree in industrial design or a related field, with a focus on furniture design being preferable
- professional experience in industrial or interior design, with a preference for previous experience in high-end bespoke furniture/millwork
- proficiency in Rhino + V-Ray (surfacing, subd, drawings, rendering), familiarity with Solidworks 3D and knowledge of 2D drafting (AutoCAD/Rhino)
- proficiency with Adobe Suite. Bonus points for knowledge of Microsoft Office
- a keen sense of design, proportion and materiality
- strong ability to efficiently communicate through hand sketching or images
- historical knowledge of interiors, architecture and furniture design, and the ability to cite historical precedent is an asset
- understanding of materials and manufacturing processes. Bonus points for previous experience in upholstered furniture or soft goods
- excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong research skills
- proactive with the ability to thrive within a small team environment and the ability to wear many hats working between a varied set of tasks
- Canadian resident (PR or citizen) or willing to relocate to Vancouver, Canada
- include a portfolio of work along with a resume
Job type: full-time
Benefits: extended health care/paid time off
Schedule: Monday to Friday 9-5
Ability to commute/relocate: Vancouver, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Experience: industrial design (required)
Work location: one location