Benoy is looking for an urban designer to join its team in London.
Are you a dynamic urban designer with an innovative portfolio to match? Are you seeking to gain experience across a range of UK and global projects?
We are looking for a creative, collaborative team player to join our masterplanning team on a permanent contract. You will work on a variety of design projects across multiple sectors and countries, while also mentoring junior team members.
As part of the architectural team, the urban designer focuses on developing masterplans for medium and large-scale projects in the UK and internationally. It’s an expansive remit, working across conceptual/strategic thinking and city-scale/regional masterplanning through to the design of buildings and public spaces and the production of detailed design guidelines.
What we are looking for:
- a postgraduate (Master’s) degree in urban design with a background in architecture or urban design; other backgrounds (eg. planning, geography, property development and planning, etc) will be considered based on portfolio and experience
- an excellent design portfolio is essential, with evidence of working at various scales
- one to two years of previous experience in professional practice in urban design or related field will be required as a minimum
- passionate about design and thrive in an environment where you can demonstrate initiative, creativity, self-sufficiency and responsibility
- confident in presenting to, coordinating and liaising with clients and consultants
- excellent software skills, highly proficient in at least four of the following, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Revit, Rhino, GIS software and CityEngine
What we can offer you:
- competitive salary
- agile working with the option of three days in the studio and two working from home
- a fun, inclusive and collaborative studio environment with an active calendar of social activities
- 22 days annual leave with the option to buy more (pro-rated)
- a range of benefits, including private medical/life insurance and pension
If this role interests you, read on for details about the role responsibilities.
Project delivery and skillset:
- generates excellent design sketches, diagrams, plans, models and renderings for reports and presentations, and can produce high quality written content
- has a strong knowledge of urban design and planning history, and an awareness of current discourse around the future of cities, masterplanning and sustainability
- delivers high quality work with guidance from senior urban designers and associates, demonstrating excellent design skills, innovative/future thinking and opinions on cities and human settlement
- an ability to work at different scale simultaneously, working on a city scale development strategy whilst preparing detailed design guidelines at the plot scale
- has an awareness and willingness to learn more about spatial and environmental analysis, big data and movement analysis, and an appreciation of planning policy, cultural contexts and heritage
- ability to work collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team of architects, urban designer, landscape architects and graphic designers, and with sub-consultants/partners from transport, engineering, cost consultancy, sustainability, etc
- demonstrating a positive attitude towards work and team activities, and a willingness to develop positive relations with team members and provide assistance as and when needed, as well as am openness to sharing knowledge, ideas and skills
- an ability to manage time, workload and ability to work within deadlines and under pressure, while remaining calm and professional at all times
- contributing to the practice’s innovation, research and development initiatives and have an avid interest in the future of cities, masterplanning and sustainability
- supporting ongoing business development activities and providing daily support to senior members of staff when needed
- provides support to senior team members with client presentations and meetings as required
- ability to confidently present to and interface with clients on projects
Please attach a portfolio showcasing work that best demonstrates your talents to your application.