BIG is seeking a landscape designer to join its team in London.
BIG is a group of 500+ architects, engineers, urbanists, inventors, researchers and business minds from all over the world who are based in our Copenhagen, New York, London and Barcelona offices. Our built work ranges from the most diverse urban playground and a Michelin Starred restaurant – to affordable housing (that feels everything but) and a school among the verdant fjords of the Faroe Islands. Our vision spans traveling at supersonic speed with Hyperloop One to living in floating cities and eventually Mars! While we are led by a group of expert partners, directors and associates – a flat hierarchy and collaborative spirit is essential to our BIG ecosystem. We share our collective knowledge and expansive network through study trips and educational workshops – BIG School offers in-house lessons while BIG Picture brings in industry experts to inspire and invigorate. We are infectiously ambitious and unified by the shared mission to craft the world we want to live in, to give form to our future one project at a time.
Our London office is looking for a landscape designer and/or landscape architect to work on high profile projects across the office as an integrated member of the London landscape team. You will need to have two-six years post-grad professional experience within conceptual design, the technical side of production of drawing sets, grading and planting design, and landscape materiality. Previous experience from projects in the Middle East would be an advantage.
Join us on our mission if you are a landscape designer who has:
- strong conceptual and design skills with sensitivity in the human scale
- proven experience with grading design, planting design, natural systems, materials, and technical aspects of landscape architecture
- understanding of different climates and conditions to recommend suitable planting
- holistic framework understanding and experience around resiliency, sustainability and ecological designs
- excellent communication skills, fluent in English- spoken and written
- ability to express and produce design ideas quickly, clearly and succinctly
- ability to develop design options in collaboration with and in support of architectural design teams
- ability to prepare, develop and edit drawings and models as they relate to the project
- should have strong ability with 3D modelling in Rhino, as well as AutoCAD, V-Ray, Adobe Suite, (Revit is a plus)
- strong organisational skills, able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and budget time
- ability to take initiative in response to direction from directors, partners and managers
- a flexible and open attitude towards new ways of working and commitment to independent learning
- experience on built and published references
- ability to work with the London landscape director on advancing agenda on future of urban design, mobility, ecology, infrastructure
- create excitement and interest around landscape architecture
Required skills and experience:
- professional qualification as a landscape designer or landscape architect
- two-six years professional experience as a landscape designer/architect on large-scale projects across different project stages
- experience with large scale landscape masterplans is a plus
- experience working in a leading international architecture and/or landscape architecture office
This job description reflects the core activities of the role although there will be changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the post holder to recognise this and adopt a flexible approach to work.
Please upload your CV and portfolio via this link. We will contact you if your profile matches our requirements.
You must have permission to live and work in the UK.
Applications must be submitted by the 7 December 2020.
Relevant applicants will be interviewed on an on-going basis.