BIG is seeking a senior urban designer to join its team in London.
BIG is a group of 500+ architects, engineers, urbanists, inventors, researchers and business minds from all over the world who are based in our Copenhagen, New York, London and Barcelona offices. Our built work ranges from the most diverse urban playground and Michelin-star dining – to affordable housing that feels everything but and a school among the verdant fjords of the Faroe Islands. Our vision spans traveling at supersonic speed with Hyperloop One to living in floating cities and eventually Mars! While we are led by a group of expert partners, directors and associates – a flat hierarchy and collaborative spirit are essential to our BIG ecosystem. We share our collective knowledge and expansive network through study trips and educational workshops – BIG school offers in-house lessons while BIG Picture brings in industry experts to inspire and invigorate. We are infectiously ambitious and unified by the shared mission to craft the world we want to live in, to give form to our future one project at a time.
Our office is growing at a rapid pace and we are therefore on the lookout for a skilled and technically experienced senior urban designer to help us with the delivery of a number of major detailed masterplan projects in the Middle East.
As a senior urban designer, you will be based in our London office together with 75 fantastic BIGsters and you will be responsible for design and technical production on detailed masterplan projects of varying scales. This will encompass the technical side of production of drawing sets, grading and planting design, and landscape materiality. You will report to our Project Director and work closely with a vibrant multi-disciplinary team of architectural, design and landscape professionals.
Join us on our mission if you are a senior urban designer who has:
- a solid understanding and experience of technical design development for urban plans (DMP)
- ability to develop design options in collaboration with the design team in a multi-disciplinary design environment
- the knowledge to formulate and conduct technical planning studies in a timely and efficient manner and present results in concise, well-written documents.
- ability to work with multiple teams to provide guidance on technical development and approvals processes
- ability to prepare, develop and edit relevant project documentation as they relate to the project: reports, drawings, models etc.
- experience with management and coordination of project stakeholders, local authorities and approving bodies and sub-consultants
- experience in coordinating traffic, civil, infrastructural, financial, zoning consultants
- experience with community engagement efforts
- strong organisational and time-management skills, ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines with a high-quality output
- ability to communicate clearly and confidently to diverse clients and public officials
- ability to demonstrate a positive attitude at all times whilst understanding the impact of decisions on all aspects of the project
- a proactive approach and is self-motivated, with the ability to take initiative in response to direction from managers, partners and directors
- a flexible and open attitude towards innovation and new ways of working
- an interest in creating excitement and interest around urban design
- ability to work with relevant partners and directors on advancing agenda on future of urban design, mobility, ecology, infrastructure
Experience and qualifications:
- a professional degree in urban design (architecture and landscape degrees will also be considered)
- seven to ten years of relevant work experience in urban planning from a multi-disciplinary design environment, while managing large and complex urban planning and master planning projects in the detailed design phases, predominantly in the Middle East
- experience on built and published references
- experience working in a leading international architectural office
- excellent communication skills, fluent in English- spoken and written (Arabic is a plus)
- strong ability with Revit (essential), Rhino (a plus), AutoCAD, GIS, Adobe Suite
This job description reflects the core activities of the role although there will be changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the post holder to recognize this and adopt a flexible approach to work.
Please upload your CV and portfolio via this link. We will contact you if your profile matches our requirements.
Please confirm your availability to attend a video conference call at short notice.
Applications must be submitted by the 23 April 2021.
Relevant applicants will be interviewed on an on-going basis.