BT Batsford is looking for a design manager to join its team in London.
An exciting opportunity has arisen at BT Batsford for a new design manager. This is a key role sitting at the heart of our creative department.
Founded in 1843, BT Batsford is an award-winning independent illustrated publisher. We publish about 40 beautiful, illustrated books a year across a diverse range of categories including architecture and design, nature, gardening and lifestyle, craft and textile art, poetry and literary gift, heritage and folklore.
We are looking for an experienced design manager to join our small creative team in our offices in central London.
Reporting to the managing director, the design manager will work closely with the publishing manager and will be responsible for maintaining and developing the prize-winning design style of our list.
Primary responsibilities will be:
- creating initial designs for covers and interiors of all key titles, ensuring a beautiful, modern, cohesive look across all titles
- managing and directing a small team of out-of-house freelance designers
- liaising with editorial colleagues during the creative process, problem-solving and trouble-shooting design issues where necessary
- preparing books for repro and checking proofs
- attending and contributing to the regular publishing meetings, helping shape the new title acquisition process
- managing the workflow of the department to ensure publishing schedules are kept on track and designs are delivered on time and within budget
- discovering and commissioning illustrators for titles to agreed budgets
- commissioning photographers and arranging photo shoots
- producing designs for marketing, branding and company events
The ideal candidate will have at least five years’ book design experience in a senior role and be fully conversant with Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, and font management software.
Please apply via the apply for job button below by Monday 2 October with a CV, portfolio of your recent work and current remuneration.