Buchanan Studio is recruiting for a midweight interior designer to join its practice in west London.
Position: full-time midweight interior designer to work on commercial and residential projects.
Start date: April/May
Our dynamic studio works on a range of creative projects across interiors, fashion, branding and events. We are looking for a highly creative midweight designer to join our team to help us work on a range of residential and hospitality projects, as well as to contribute on occasion towards other creative projects outside of interior design.
You will be working closely with our senior designer as well as the owner/creative director, Angus Buchanan. You will also need to work as a team on occasion with our junior producer.
With several current high profile projects including a childrenswear shop in Islington, a large residential development in central London and luxury villas in Ibiza, this is an opportunity not be missed for an ambitious designer who can see the potential in working as part of a small team, for a studio that is growing fast.
Required skills and attributes:
- an excellent knowledge of InDesign, Vectorworks and Microsoft Office 365
- a particular strength in/passion for sourcing FF&E is highly desirable
- an ‘all-rounder’ when it comes to FF&E as, depending on the client, we have a need for budget-friendly solutions as well as very high-end and including custom furniture and lighting, reclaimed materials and vintage/antique furniture
- rigorous attention to detail
- creativity, a natural instinct for style, and an eye for good design
- a positive outlook
- an ability to take full ownership and responsibility of your own workload
- a willingness to ‘muck in’ and take on any kind of task, including some occasional office admin duties as we are a small team
- excellent organisational and time management skills
- good communication skills, as you will need to present your ideas to the rest of the team, and liaise with contractors, consultants and clients
- a problem solver with strong initiative and resourcefulness
- ability to receive constructive feedback
- an ambition to grow with the studio, becoming a long term and integral part of the team
Role and responsibilities:
- drafting plans, elevations and detail design drawings
- FF&E sourcing and procurement
- finding new suppliers where required
- working closely with our junior producer to fulfil requirements for custom furniture and lighting for our projects
- image sourcing, and creation of mood boards and concepts for presentation to clients
- arranging and overseeing photography of completed projects including on-site styling and curation of props
- willingness and ability to travel internationally where may be required on projects
- liaising with third party suppliers and contractor
- occasional general office admin
- attendance of client meetings, and note taking
- depending on the specific client, direct communication with client
- providing additional ad-hoc services as and when required
This description reflects the core activities of the role but is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. We are a small team with a variety of creative projects on at any one time including parties, branding and other projects not all interiors related. There is a requirement to recognise this and adopt a flexible approach to work.
If you feel you would be well suited to the role, please send a PDF sample of your work along with a cover letter and your CV and state your availability on the application using the ‘apply’ link below.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only be responding to candidates that we would like to interview.