Cake Industries is hiring a designer/project manager to join its team in London.
Cake Industries design, engineer, fabricate and make beautiful things; from sculpture and staircases to bridges and pavilions. Working with the finest materials and taking a design-focused approach to all projects, we work with architects, designers, artists and contractors to bring concepts to life.
We are currently looking for a designer/project manager to join our growing team.
- you will carry out the design and drawing of a wide range of complex and interesting projects, including staircases, public sculpture and bespoke structures, in conjunction with the design team
- you will have an awareness of fabrication with a range of materials and processes
- you will uphold high standards of production, demonstrating awareness of quality management across varying projects and contexts from structural fabrication to cabinet making
- you will engage confidently and competently with our clients
- you will liaise with and coordinate suppliers to develop and complete projects
- you will manage the process of design and fabrication of your projects from appointment to completion, working closely with the project director, the workshop manager, and the installation team
- you will have a positive attitude and enjoy problem solving within a creative and collaborative environment
- you will maintain high standards of health and safety in your work, and plan for successful and safe fabrication and installation
- you will report to the director for design and engineering
Salary: £30,000-£34,000 per annum, based on experience and competence
Job type: a full-time salaried package including annual leave and statutory benefits
This role is based in our facility in south-east London. Due to the nature of your interaction with our workshop and fabrication staff it is not expected that this role will be suitable for hybrid working.
- experience in 3D design and drawing using computer geometry packages
- knowledge of fabrication and making in a wide range of materials
- excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing
- exemplary time management and an organised and coherent approach to your work
- confidence and competence in using all relevant IT packages
- willingness to learn and develop your design skills through a mentored training scheme, potentially leading to appropriate professional qualifications with the engineering council or the chartered institute of architectural technologists.
- experience in the use of Solidworks, and/or Rhino 3D and Grasshopper
- experience with rendering and presentation of design information
- degree level qualification in Architecture, Engineering or related subjects
- experience managing projects, including scheduling, ordering, and negotiation
- experience and skill using digital surveying tools, particularly photogrammetry
- one to two years’ experience in a relevant environment
- CSCS Card and/or formal health and safety training
- valid UK driving licence
Please submit your CV and examples of previous work including contact details for two references via the apply for job button below.
Applicants will be selected subject to an interview and skills trial.
Cake Industries is an equal opportunities employer, and we welcome applications from those who are historically not well represented in the construction industry.