Carpenter Oak is hiring a structural timber designer/design engineer to join its team in Devon, Scotland or remotely,
The role of a structural timber designer offers a rare and unique opportunity to work with the current team of frame designers and the rest of the team at Carpenter Oak. The successful applicant will have several years of experience in a design capacity within the structural timber industry.
The primary focus of the role will be within the technical design team, working with frame designers, engineers, end-users and project managers on the design of timber structures.
You will be able to take full responsibility for the design of complex timber frames of a variety of styles and end-uses. Carpenter Oak’s overarching focus is on design and collaboration – you will build relationships with architects, engineers and other professionals to support and enhance our design led approach to delivering timber structures.
Training will be provided in the specialised use of AutoCAD Architecture and the appropriate selection of traditional and contemporary carpentry joints for a variety of applications.
- work with project managers to ensure high quality, exceptional designs are taken from concept stage to construction
- deliver high quality plans and technical drawings
- produce production drawings for workshop manufacture
- develop a thorough understanding of all elements of the business from marketing through sales, design, manufacturing to installation
- working with architects, engineers and other external professionals employed by our clients, as well as other designers and carpenters
- selection of appropriate materials and manufacturing techniques to fulfil the project brief
- aid in the handover from the design phase into the workshop
- occasional site-work erecting frames with the carpentry team
General characteristics and skills:
- passion for design, timber, carpentry and ecological building
- strong verbal and written communication skills
- self-motivated, a good problem solver and able to work on own initiative
- excellent time management and ability to prioritise tasks without supervision
- flexibility to undertake tasks outside of the general role
- open and honest
Technical skills and ability:
- three or more years’ experience in structural timber framing design using a variety of materials
- ability to interpret architectural/engineering drawings
- robust knowledge of AutoCAD is essential and experience of alternative design software packages such as Revit, Inventor or Rhino desirable
- ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplined environment
- understanding of traditional and contemporary carpentry techniques
- any experience of using other CAD packages such as Revit and SketchUp would be advantageous
- good proficiency in Microsoft and Google Workspace
- a full UK driving licence
Please apply via the apply for job button below.