Chetwoods is seeking an associate architect to join its team in London.
Chetwoods is an award-winning international architectural practice based in London, Birmingham, Germany and China. We work across a variety of sectors including residential, commercial, industrial, mixed-use and workplace.
Our architecture teams use rigorous thinking and radical creativity to push the possibilities of design for living and bring more colour to the world.
We have three elements to our approach – studio, thrive and works.
Thrive supports the design and delivery of projects that will enhance our environment and improve our health and wellbeing. Works champions the digital delivery of projects. It provides support to our teams in the use of appropriate and innovative software and hardware to deliver sustainable architecture. Studio puts the imagination, emotion and instinct into our designs. We believe that successful architectural design should deliver a positive physical, sensory and emotional human experience.
We are seeking an associate-level architect who has a proven track record in delivering projects from feasibility to completion and who can confidently run project teams and make key decisions independently.
We are expanding our teams to support the increasing volume of work within the industrial sector and in particular, within the London region. The successful candidate will be part of a new team with a strong technology-focused approach to design. We are currently hybrid working with the week split between the office and working from home (subject to current COVID-19 advice at the time of application).
Roles and responsibilities:
- making project decisions in the absence of the associate director or regional director
- assisting with the design process on designated team projects
- arranging and attending design team meetings
- controlling projects from start to finish to ensure high quality, innovation and functional design
- developing ideas to client’s brief, building usage, environmental impact and the design ethos of the practice
- responsible for drawing output and obtaining any required clearances for the project
- completing all project documentation including overseeing RFIs
- carrying out design-stage risk assessments
- advising clients on procuring the best and most appropriate contracts for the work they are undertaking, liaising with appropriate authorities, such as planning enquiries and building inspectors, when producing documentation for statutory approval
- ensuring that all works are carried out to specific standards, building codes, guidelines and regulations
- thorough knowledge of UK building regulations and construction methods
- ability to produce quality checked and coordinated working drawing packages for D and B contractors
- proven track record in delivering projects to a high design standard
- excellent technical and detailing skills
- excellent conceptual and design skills using both hand-drawn and digital media
- creativity and the ability to think outside the box
- design flair
- site experience
- excellent verbal, written and drawn communication and presentation skills
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills as the role will require liaison with team members, clients, contractors and consultants on a daily basis
- ability to take responsibility, meet project deadlines and work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- five plus years post Part 3 qualification and ARB registration
- working understanding of UK planning and building regulation process
- AutoCAD, Revit, Sketch Up, FormIT, Enscape, Adobe Suite including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator. We will ask candidates to participate in Knowledge Smart Revit assessments as part of the interview process to assess ability
- high level of design competency
- a proven record of delivering quality designs across various project sectors
- experience of using computational design software such as Revit+ Dynamo, Rhino+ Grasshopper and others such as TestFit, Hypar, Unitize, Prism
Apply via the apply for job button below, enclosing a covering letter and portfolio of no more than 10MB size.
We are only able to respond to candidates we invite for interview, but we keep CVs on file for six months and may get in touch at a later stage.
Chetwoods prides itself on being an equal opportunities employer and all candidates will be treated fairly regardless of age, race, sex or disability.