Chetwoods is seeking a thrive assistant to join its team in Birmingham, UK.
Chetwoods is an AJ100, award-winning international architectural practice with offices in London, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Germany and China. We work across a variety of sectors including residential, commercial, industrial, mixed-use and workplace in the UK and beyond.
Our remit is multi-faceted and multi-disciplinary, covering ergonomics, interiors, installations, art, landscaping, building design, architecture, and more. In fact, we address any physical aspect that can have a positive impact on brain, body and behaviour.
Our architecture teams use rigorous thinking and radical creativity to push the possibilities of design for living, and bring more colour to the world. We don’t constrain ourselves to what’s gone before, but look for new, better and original ways to do things. Chetwoods are signatories of the Architects Declare Pledge and the RIBA 2030 Climate Challenge.
We have three elements to our approach; studio, thrive and works.
Works champions the digital delivery of projects. It provides support to our teams in the use of appropriate and innovative software and hardware to deliver sustainable architecture. Studio puts the imagination, emotion and instinct into our designs. We believe that successful architectural design should deliver a positive physical, sensory and emotional human experience. Thrive supports the design and delivery of projects that will enhance our environment and improve our health and wellbeing.
This role is within our dedicated thrive team.
The opportunity – thrive assistant
The thrive team is comprised of a group of professionals passionate about finding solutions to the climate and biodiversity emergencies in the construction industry. We have WELL and BREEAM accredited professionals and Passivehouse designers in the team however we do not to box ticking, we help others to understand the bigger picture and design as holistically as possible. Staff within the thrive team are also affiliated with the RIBA, Circular Economy Club, UK Green Building Council (UKGBC) and the Architects Climate Action Network (ACAN).
Whilst Chetwoods is an architectural firm, we do not believe that we should operate solely within the boundaries of buildings. Which has resulted in Thrive now acting as an independent consultancy, applying holistic thinking to help clients reduce their impact and be recognised as pioneers in their field.
We have helped clients to achieve the world’s first building to be verified as net zero carbon for construction in alignment with the UKGBC ‘net zero carbon building framework definition’. The supply chain engagement process devised by our team won the client a Planet Mark award.
As a result, we are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic thrive assistant to support our growing team and growing business.
Characteristics of our desired candidate:
- approachable, a people person
- passionate but pragmatic
- an understanding of architecture and how buildings are delivered
- the ability to work closely with urban designers, planners, architects and engineers
- a keen interest in sustainability and its application in the built environment
- well organised and strong time keeping abilities
- InDesign, Illustrator and PowerPoint experience
- a willingness to occasionally travel to other Chetwoods offices or to visit clients
- Revit and CAD experience helpful but not necessary
- this role would be ideal for a graduate from a ‘sustainability’ degree or a passionate architecture graduate who doesn’t want to go down the conventional route
- an interest in the WELL building standard, BREEAM, Passivhaus etc. It is not essential to have expertise in these fields, training will be provided where necessary
The tasks that may be expected within the role:
- be well versed in the thrive vision as part of Chetwoods and as a separate consultancy
- help to induct all new employees
- attend all CPDs and ask key questions
- conduct research for our solutions library
- potential to become a BREEAM assessor/WELL AP
- attend project design forums with the Thrive hat on
- disseminate information from the UK Green Building Council
- keep an eye out for events/talking opportunities
- help to put presentations together
- attend seminars locally and feedback
- help teams to produce project appraisals
- collate data from the contractor for client sustainability reports
- stay up to date with the latest sustainability news
- attend and take minutes at our hive mind and thrive clinic sessions
- create and manage templates for BREEAM and WELL accreditation submissions
- assist with the Chetwoods environmental management system (ISO:14001), aligned with the UN sustainable development goals
- help monitor the offices generally and support office administration staff in making procurement decisions
- update our tools and templates
- write journal posts
A candidate will need to be within commuting distance of either our Birmingham offices. We practice flexible home/office working however we generally expect staff to be in the office at least two days a week for the social/collaborative experience.
Please apply if you are a candidate who is looking for a purposeful career. You will be supporting Chetwoods in delivering architecture that is a force for good and helping businesses to understand how they can make a difference.