Coen+Partners has an opportunity for a project designer to join its team in Minneapolis, USA.
Coen+Partners is seeking multiple landscape architects and urban designers, from early-career to senior-level experience, for full time, or long-term contract positions in support of a wide range of regional and global urban projects.
Candidates would support existing and new project teams working on local, regional, and national urban public realm projects, Department of State Bureau of Overseas Building Operations (OBO) Design Excellence projects, and international work that includes city-wide public realm networks detailed design of more than 1,000 acres of urban park and recreation space, multiple transit-oriented development districts, comprehensive green and blue infrastructure, and an integrated health and wellness program.
Candidates must be passionate about design and strategic design thinking, proactive problem-solvers, and highly skilled in conceptualizing, developing and implementing sophisticated and complex landscapes and urban design projects. Key responsibilities for these positions will include leading the design of projects in a multi-disciplinary team setting, fostering a collaborative team environment, and supporting the development of new systems and processes to improve project delivery. These positions will be integral in project visioning, client and community engagement, business development, and the long-range growth and diversification of the studio.
Coen+Partners is a highly collaborative design studio that is actively working to push the boundaries of the landscape architecture practice. Our work is rigorous, mission-driven, and constantly evolving.
We are committed to empowering our 26-person team to develop design solutions that push beyond best practices, addressing a wide range of civic issues through innovative process, design strategies, and implementation.
Project designers are the primary production force across all projects in the studio. They are empowered to collaborate with project managers and the design director from the early conceptual stages of a project and will provide the research, graphics, and documentation to support design efforts. Under the supervision of project managers, they will develop projects from concept through construction documentation and will be actively engaged in construction administration.
Preferred candidates will have the following attributes:
- two-seven years of design experience
- ability to take proactive ownership of projects and responsibilities
- ability to thrive in a collaborative team environment and work independently
- developed understanding and approach to contemporary and contextual based planning and design
- experience working on all stages of a project, from concept design through construction documentation
- basic understanding of construction techniques and documentation systems
- strong conceptual thinking with an ability to communicate ideas graphically, verbally and in written form
- discipline and confidence in complex problem solving
- desire and ability to travel internationally
- capacity to work across multiple representation platforms, including hand graphics (sketches and renderings); AutoCAD; Revit; Illustrator; InDesign; Photoshop; Rhino and SketchUp
- fluency in Arabic is not required, but beneficial
- minimally a bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture, architecture, urban design, planning, or graphic design from an accredited program (master’s degree preferred)
- support project managers in the coordination of multi-disciplinary design teams
- develop meaningful research and analysis of physical and cultural context to support design concepts; and products, planting, and materials to support detailed design development
- develop conceptual ideas through clear direction, independently and in collaboration with others
- support the development of project graphics, diagrams, presentations, renderings, and physical models
- support the presentation of design concepts to clients, government agencies, and stakeholders
- support the design and implementation of public meetings and community engagement efforts
- develop conceptual design ideas into schematic plans
- with support, develop schematic drawings into construction documents and specifications
- review and refine construction documents through quality control processes
- support the construction administration process, including site visits, field reports, material selections, mock-up reviews, etc.
Applications should include the following:
- a cover letter that describes your specific interests in the industry, your background, and your long-range career goals
- a resume that clearly identifies years and roles in the industry, past experience, and education (academic and professional)
- a portfolio of work, identifying for each project your specific role in each stage, the scale and location of the project, the role of the firm (sub-consultant or lead), and key lessons learned from the project
- applications should be submitted using the ‘apply’ link below