Commissioned By You has an opportunity for a maker to join its studio in London.
Commissioned By You (CBY) are on the lookout for a talented and enthusiastic maker to join our team on a freelance basis. You will be experienced, have a great attitude and want to learn new skills and techniques. You will be part of a team delivering a wide range of projects to our high standards of craftsmanship, mainly within the workshop in North London but also on-site.
- as part of our team your key task will be the production of bespoke projects comprising various materials and techniques, within our workshop, you will also install projects on-site
- utilising your experience and specialist knowledge of materials and how to work them (wood, metal, other) you will make cutting lists, order materials, contact suppliers for quotes and arrange deliveries to help facilitate production
- reading from drawings you will help us problem solve construction issues and propose solutions to help save time and add quality.
- you will help plan workflow and work together with the team to meet deadlines, identifying issues along the way
- you will take the lead in maintaining a clean and tidy workshop environment, suggesting better ways to keep things organised and make the space more efficient
- help build CBY longterm as a business though fostering good working relationships within the team, helping to create a supportive and dynamic working environment
Key requirements (essential):
- minimum of three years of experience working in a workshop environment, ideally as a cabinetmaker but with knowledge of working other materials
- be able to work independently from CAD drawings and written instructions and be proficient and safe in the use of woodworking machines and powered and hand tools
- understand the need to meet deadlines, be able to plan time and work to make this happen
- be a good communicator and liaise directly with clients and suppliers as well as within our team
- be enthusiastic and look to learn new skills, develop existing ones and improve others within the team
- be precise with, pay attention for detail, maintain organisation and tidiness, and a produce a high level of work
- work confidently and competently with fabrication drawings, including computer-based programmes such as Rhino and SketchUp to view/print drawings, navigate models and take dimensions as required
- flexibility to work different days of week including occasional out of hours
- experience as a metal fabricator (MIG and TIG (aluminium and stainless steel)
- experience working with a range of software and packages such as Adobe, AutoCAD, SketchUp and Rhino
- experience in CNC-machining, Laser cut, mould-making and casting
- driving licence
What we offer:
- the opportunity to work with prestigious clients on a diverse range of bespoke projects
- a respected role within our small, committed team where your input will be valued
- the chance to refine your craft and learn new skills
- appointment period: long term (to be discussed)
- contract-type: freelance (two-three days/week) with some trial (paid) for a period of time, also with a possibility to increase days in the future
- salary: competitive, dependent on experience
- location: studio: building bloqs, 4 Anthony way N18 3QT
We appreciate your understanding that we won’t be able to respond to all applications. We will try to get back to people within a week time to those who we’d like to meet.
We are not able to sponsor applicants who are on either tier two or four visas. Therefore, you must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions.
Please submit your CV, cover letter and portfolio (no bigger than 10MB) using the ‘apply’ link below.