Concept Eight Architects is seeking an architectural technician/technologist to join its team in London.
Assist with projects being built out to high quality with plenty of on-site exposure.
Two to five years’ experienced architectural technician/technologist with UK residential experience.
Concept Eight are an established design-led architecture and interior design practice dedicated to the creation of imaginative residential buildings. Our work has featured in national and international press, digital publications and recognised by several awards bodies. We are 12 strong and have grown steadily over the past few years. We pride ourselves on offering varied opportunities to all staff, aiding their professional development, and remunerating them well with a combination of a competitive salary and an annual bonus.
We operate out of our friendly design studio located in Weybridge, Surrey with our staff living in areas such as Clapham, Surbiton, Putney, Woking, Guildford and Richmond, all enjoying the benefit of a commute against the traffic. We have excellent staff retention and make a great effort to ensure the studio environment is open and friendly, with a strong social atmosphere and focus on a good work-life balance.
The practice specializes in high-value single family dwelling houses and conversions but occasionally are also involved in small scale apartment schemes. We approach all projects with a focus on design, balanced with well executed technical solutions. Our team is made up of architects, technologists and interior designers who all bring different skill sets to our projects.
More information on the practice’s work is available on our website.
In order to deal with a number of high-profile new commissions, we are now looking to add to our team. We are looking for a passionate and committed architectural technician/technologist who has a thorough knowledge of the construction detailing, specification writing, building regulations and co-ordination management, and is proficient in AutoCAD, Revit and Sketchup.
Duties and responsibilities
The practice has a growing workload of projects both in Central London, Surrey and beyond. The candidate will be responsible for the delivery of technical packages for one or more of these projects. Typical duties are set out below, but will vary from project to project.
Project delivery includes:
- intent and detail design work
- production of presentation material
- technical development of projects
- production of reports, drawings, schedules and specifications
- detailed AutoCAD construction drawings as part of a Stage 4 Technical Design and/or Stage 5 Construction submission
- development of NBS Specification (or similar)
- co-ordination of external consultants’ information typically, structural and building services
- preparation and submission of building regulations submissions and other third-party submissions requiring consent
- review and update health and safety (CDM) documentation
- incorporation of sustainable design principles
- on-site progress reviews and documentation
This section sets out the requirements, competencies, skills and qualities that are sought.
- at least two years’ relevant architectural technician experience in residential projects in a UK practice
- an enthusiasm for quality design solutions
- having worked on projects which have been completed or been on site
- having dealt with technical queries from contractors
- an excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- willing to work to tight deadlines on the odd occasion
- must have good communication skills
- must be able to work well as part of a team internally as well as wider external project teams
- must be willing to help out others when needed, and willing to work with both junior and senior team members
IT and other competencies:
- an excellent command of CAD (Concept 8 Architects work primarily in AutoCAD 2D)
- an excellent command of SketchUP
- working knowledge of Revit
- good command of office systems (Word, Excel) – essential
- proficiency in presentation skills would be welcomed but not essential (Photoshop and Indesign desirable)
- able to work with NBS specification beneficial
- working knowledge of Enscape is beneficial but not essential
Professional practice skills
The candidate must be able to demonstrate competence in most, if not all, of the following areas:
- knowledge and experience of NBS (or other) Specification writing
- excellent construction detailing skills, with sound knowledge of building technologies, materials and how they are assembled
- excellent understanding of building regulations/ approved documents and other UK standards and codes
- sound knowledge of technical standards, regulatory frameworks and CDM/H&S requirements
- excellent technical knowledge of relevant project types/scales
- knowledge of sustainable design principles in practice
- practice experience in high quality architectural or interiors detailing
- on-site experience an advantage
- project experience in design led commercial projects an advantage
- excellent communicator both in person and virtually
- we run an open plan office and we encourage all team members to offer opinion and review other persons work
- from time to time you would be encouraged to assist others on their projects, provide technical reviews
- present your ideas to the team for them to review your designs
- arrange relevant CPD’s and suggest technical engagement for the team
- get involved in non-work team activities
- day to day tasks shared by all team members in the office
We are actively looking to fill a position now. We are setting a submission deadline of 08.02.21 however we encourage individuals to send their expression of interest sooner as the position may be filled before the deadline ends.
To submit your application please click the ‘apply’ link below.