Concept Eight Architects has an opportunity for a design-focussed qualified architect to join its studio in Weybridge, London.
3-5 years qualified architect (RIBA and ARB registered)
Opportunity to rapidly develop yourself into a well-rounded architect, with opportunity to progress into management. The role offers a high level of responsibility and ownership of design led, award winning and industry recognised projects from inception to completion.
Concept Eight are an established design-led architecture and interior design practice dedicated to the creation of imaginative residential buildings. Our work has featured in national and international press, digital publications and recognised by several awards bodies. We are 13 strong and have grown steadily over the past few years. We pride ourselves on offering varied opportunities to all staff, aiding their professional development, and remunerating them well with a combination of a competitive salary and an annual bonus.
We operate out of our friendly design studio located in Weybridge, Surrey with our staff living in areas such as southwest London, Surrey, Hampshire and surrounding areas, all enjoying the benefit of a commute against the traffic. We have excellent staff retention and make great effort to ensure the studio environment is open and friendly, with a strong social atmosphere and focus on a good work-life balance.
The practice specialises in high value single family dwelling houses and conversions, but occasionally are also involved in small scale apartment schemes. We approach all projects with a focus on design, balanced with well executed technical solutions. Our team is made up of architects, technologists and interior designers who all bring different skillsets to our projects.
More information on the practice’s work is available on our website: www.concept8.co.uk.
In order to deal with a number of high-profile new commissions, we are now looking to add to our team. We are looking for a passionate, committed and design focussed Architect who has a thorough knowledge of all design and delivery stages of a project, Inc. feasibility, planning, technical design and on-site administration. The individual should be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD and Sketchup with a working knowledge of Revit.
We are seeking an individual who wishes to join a firm where they can grow individually as well as help the firm to thrive. This is aimed at an individual who is seeking to hold a long-term position at a practice to help shape theirs and the company’s future.
Duties and responsibilities
The practice has a growing workload of projects both in London and Surrey. The ideal candidate would be someone who is keen to progress their career and take on a high level of responsibility on the day-to-day delivery of one or more of these projects, reporting to an associate architect or director. Being a close-knit group, we are seeking someone who will easily blend into our team, and be an active participant to daily office life, happily working with both senior and junior team members.
Specific current projects which the new member would be involved in include a major luxury new build house in the greenbelt, a design led house overlooking the sea and a further new build in Surrey. This is complemented with a number of designs led renovations. As such experience in residential architecture is an essential requirement ideally with private clients but as we do also take on development projects an understanding of this sector is also beneficial.
The candidate will have exposure to all RIBA stages and will be dealing directly with clients, colleagues, suppliers, statutory bodies and contractors – ensuring a broad variety of work on a daily basis. While initially reporting to a line manager, the candidate’s long-term goal should be to take ownership of an increasing number and complexity of projects to develop themselves in to a well-rounded architect and valuable member of the studio.
Typical duties are set out below, but will vary from project to project.
Project delivery includes:
- concept and detail design work
- strong design credentials utilising relevant research to promote appropriate site, budget and brief specific proposals
- conditions surveys and historic building appraisals
- production of presentation material
- technical development of projects
- delivery of production information
- production of reports, drawings, schedules and specifications
- submission of planning and listed building applications, including writing heritage impact assessments and design and access statements
- a broad understanding of greenbelt/ANOB site constraints and identifying planning strategies to successfully obtain consents in these areas
- submission of building regulation applications, including coordination of technical material
- site coordination and building contract administration
- understanding of project costs and construction processes
Project management duties include:
- report to project leader/director on progress of projects and project risks
- monitor project costs and profitability
- easy graphical, verbal and written communication with client and other bodies
- planning, programming and monitoring of design work to meet deadlines
- coordination of work produced by project team, including consultants
- liaise with the client, consultants, local planning authorities, and other statutory bodies and committees
- ensure project QM, CDM/H&S files are maintained in accordance with practice standards
- prepare agenda and minutes for project meetings and ability (where required) to chair meetings
- management of junior assistants assigned to your projects
General office duties include:
- ensure office/practice standards adhered to
- promote an environment where all team members can work to their strengths
- identify own training needs
- keep abreast of all regulatory development
- attend regular team meetings
- contribute to team successes
- set a positive example
- be prepared to help run general office duties
- get actively involved on team building and socials
This section sets out the requirements, competencies, skills and qualities that are sought:
- a desire to develop themselves professionally, with ownership of projects
- ARB and RIBA registered
- have excellent design skills and experience in bespoke high-end residential projects
- an excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- comfortable with a client facing role and acting as a representative of the company
- present their projects confidently
- undertake technical research relevant to projects
- assist other team members
- good problem-solving skills
IT and other competencies:
- ability to hand-draw and sketch to a decent standard
- good command of CAD (Concept 8 Architects work in AutoCAD)
- good command of office systems (Word, Excel, Project) – essential
- good presentation skills (Photoshop and InDesign desirable)
- good modelling skills (Concept 8 Architects work in SketchUp)
- prepared to understand and work on C8 time keeping and in house QA procedures
- working knowledge of Revit
Professional practice skills
The candidate must be able to demonstrate competence in most if not all of the following areas:
- university-level education for both RIBA Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3 in UK universities essential
- ability to carry out duties of an architect as set out in the RIBA’s Job Book
- excellent design skills, with the ability to explore and present thoughtful options for review and development
- good detailing skills, with sound knowledge of building technologies, materials and how they are assembled
- sound knowledge of technical standards, regulatory frameworks and CDM/H&S requirements
- knowledge of sustainable design principles in practice
- practice experience in high quality architectural or interiors detailing
- on-site experience
- good understanding of JCT Contracts and experience in utilising these
- proficiency in AutoCAD essential Revit/BIM experience an advantage
- personable, sociable and a positive member of the team
- offer opinion and review colleagues’ work
- present your ideas to the team for them to review your designs
- work across teams and assist others on their projects
- arrange relevant CPD’s and suggest technical engagement for the team
- get involved in non-work team social and sports activities
- office management tasks shared by all team members in the office
- willing to attend networking events and assisting the company secure new business
We are actively looking to fill a position now. We are setting a submission deadline of 13.11.20, however we encourage individuals to send their expression of interest sooner as the position may be filled before the deadline ends.