Concept Eight Architects is seeking an interior architect to join its team in London.
Opportunity to gain exposure and experience in the bespoke residential sector. Work on design focussed projects from inception to completion in a friendly and dynamic team working as an Interior architect with senior interior designers.
Visionary interior design is an outward expression of our inner senses.
Interior architect with a minimum of one years’ relevant UK experience.
Concept 8 Architects and its sister company Concept Eight Design are multi-award winning, vibrant practices dedicated to the creation of high quality, innovative residential buildings, from smaller-scale design focussed householder extensions to large new-build houses and apartment schemes for developers. Our work has been featured international and national press and publications as well as TV and industry magazines. We have grown steadily over the past 13 years to a team of 14, and pride ourselves in offering varied opportunities to all staff, aiding their professional development and remunerating them well with a combination of competitive salary, pensions and annual bonus.
Being an award-winning practice, design is at the forefront of our process, however almost all of our projects get built and we also try and ensure that we are equally technically robust in our approach and process. The practice operates a studio environment with regular project reviews and crits as well as inviting external technical support to assist with project learning. The open plan environment allows for all team members to learn from others.
With a steady increase in interior design commissions and forecasted new work, we are now looking to add a further team member to our studio within interior design who can expect to be involved in interesting projects from inception through to completion. Due to the nature of the role and our work typology, the studio offers fantastic opportunity to learn on the project, as well as learning from peers in the studio.
We operate out of an impressive studio based in Weybridge, Surrey, with our staff living in areas such as Clapham, Putney and Richmond as well as outside London in Surrey, Guildford, Woking and Reading. The team benefit from a commute against the traffic. We have excellent staff retention and make great effort to ensure the studio environment is open and friendly, with a strong social atmosphere and focus on a good work-life balance. The majority of the team have been with us for many years.
Duties and responsibilities
We are currently looking for a friendly, time sensitive and well-organized Interior Architect with some experience in the industry to join our friendly and talented team based out of our design studio in Surrey. You must be CAD proficient and able to work on AutoCAD as well as using SketchUp proficiently, as well as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. You will also need to be able to work on Excel and understand project build programs. In conjunction key drawing skill requirements that will be a focus of the role, the candidate will require a high level of organisation and communication skills, administrative skills would be bonus. Working with various suppliers and build teams to ensure for a seamless process on site. You will also have the opportunity to see a project from inception to completion within 12-24 months in prime central London, Southwest London and/or Surrey.
The candidate must have successfully completed their necessary qualifications at a well-regarded UK school of interior design and have had a minimum of 12 months experience at a UK residential studio. The right candidate will want to join the studio for the long term, seeking to grow their career at the practice. The candidate would be responsible for the day-to-day delivery of one or more of these projects, reporting to the senior interior designer as well as senior architects, associate or director.
Please note this is not hybrid role. We work as a team from Monday to Friday in our studio environment.
Typical duties are set out below but will vary from project to project.
Position duties and responsibilities
Project delivery includes
Interior package drawings:
- joinery drawings
- lighting drawings
- technical development of projects
- detail design
- concept and detail design work
- mood boards
- FF&E schedules
- delivery of production information
- production of reports, drawings, schedules and specifications
- input into building regulation applications, including coordination of technical material
- assisting contractor once on site
Project management duties include:
- daily reporting to senior interior designer and working dynamically to the day to day needs of project tasks
- report to the senior interior designer on progress of project(s) and project risks
- monitor project costs
- visit suppliers’ showroom and arrange for samples to be obtained as required
- ideally have use of a car for access to showrooms, site and clients’ homes etc.
- arrange visits to site/client’s home to present work, drop off samples etc.
- organise meetings with suppliers at the studio as required
- planning, programming and monitoring of design work to meet deadlines
- coordination of work produced by project team, including Consultants
- liaise with the client, consultants, local planning authorities, and other statutory bodies and committees
- ensure project QM, CDM/H&S files are maintained in accordance with practice standards
- prepare agenda and minutes for project meetings
General office duties include:
- ensure office/practice standards adhered to
- promote an environment where all team members can work to their strengths
- identify own training needs
- keep abreast of all regulatory development
- keep abreast of latest trends
- attend regular team meetings
- contribute to team successes
- nurture relationships with suppliers
- set a positive example
This section sets out the requirements, competencies, skills and qualities that are sought
- a desire to develop themselves professionally and utilise C8 support during their formative years
- adequate interior architect degree or qualification in a UK establishment
- at least 12 months’ relevant interior design/architectural studio
- positive, and enthusiastic ‘can do’ attitude
- good problem-solving skills and having the ability to run multiple tasks at the same time
- an enthusiasm for both residential architecture and quality design solutions
- an excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- will need to be able to communicate effectively over the telephone with clients, suppliers, and other professionals
IT and other competencies:
- ability to hand-draw and sketch to a decent standard
- good command of CAD (Concept 8 Architects work in AutoCAD)
- good modelling skills – SketchUp skills essential (other 3D-modelling packages desirable)
- good command of office systems (Word, Excel)
- good presentation skills (Adobe Photoshop and InDesign)
Professional practice skills
The candidate must be able to demonstrate competence in most if not all of the following areas:
- ability to carry out duties of an Interior Architect or equivalent
- excellent design skills, with the ability to explore and present thoughtful options for review and development
- good detailing skills, with sound knowledge of building technologies, materials and how they are assembled
- sound knowledge of technical standards, regulatory frameworks, and CDM/H&S requirements
- good knowledge of products appropriate to the sector
- good organisational skills to manage various suppliers’ delivery and sign off through the build
- personable, sociable and a positive member of the team
- friendly attitude with both clients, suppliers, and colleagues
- offer opinion and review colleagues’ work
- present your ideas to the team for them to review your designs
- work across teams and assist others on their projects
- arrange relevant CPD’s and suggest technical engagement for the team
- get involved in non-work team social and sports activities
- office management tasks shared by all team members in the office
Our Instagram feed has most of our up-to-date work
More information on the practice’s work is available on our website
This position is only available to applicants based in the United Kingdom