Concept Eight Architects is seeking Part 1 architectural assistants to join its team in London.
Opportunity to rapidly gain exposure and experience in all stages of architectural activities. Work on design-focused projects from inception to completion in a friendly and dynamic team.
RIBA Part 1 architectural assistants with a minimum of six months’ UK experience.
Concept Eight are an established design-led architecture and interior design practice dedicated to the creation of imaginative residential buildings. Our work has featured in national and international press, digital publications and recognised by several awards bodies. We are 12-strong and have grown steadily over the past few years. We pride ourselves on offering varied opportunities to all staff, aiding their professional development and remunerating them well with a combination of a competitive salary and an annual bonus. We operate out of our friendly design studio located in Weybridge, Surrey with our staff living locally and in areas such as Clapham, Surbiton, Putney, enjoying the benefit of a commute against the traffic, as well as areas further out such as Woking, Guildford and Richmond. We have excellent staff retention and make great effort to ensure the studio environment is open and friendly, with a strong social atmosphere and focus on a good work-life balance.
The practice specialises in high-value, single-family dwelling houses and conversions but occasionally are also involved in small scale apartment schemes. We approach all projects with a focus on design, balanced
with well-executed technical solutions. Our team is made up of architects, technologists and interior designers who all bring different skill sets to our projects.
More information on the practice’s work is available on our website.
In order to deal with a number of high-profile new commissions, we are now looking to add to our team. We are looking for an appropriately experienced and committed Part 1 architectural assistant who is proficient in AutoCAD, SketchUp and Adobe Creative Suite.
Duties and responsibilities
We are currently looking for a proactive design-focused Part 1 assistant architect with plenty of ambition and drive to join our friendly and talented team based out of our design studio in Surrey. You must be CAD proficient and able to work on AutoCAD. The right candidate will have specific opportunity to see a number of prime central London, south west London and Surrey projects from inception through to completion. The candidate would be responsible for creation and amendment of various deliverables including the provision of design solutions for development for one or more of these projects, reporting to an associate or director.
You will have the opportunity to be exposed to all RIBA stages as well as visit site when appropriate. Typical duties are set out below, but will vary from project to project.
Project delivery includes:
- concept and detail design work
- production of presentation material
- technical development of projects
- delivery of production information
- production of reports, drawings, schedules and specifications
- submission of planning and listed building applications, including writing design and access statements
- submission of building regulation applications, including coordination of technical material
This section sets out the requirements, competencies, skills and qualities that are sought.
- a desire to develop themselves professionally and utilise Concept Eight Architects support during RIBA Part 1
- Part 1 – must have passed degree and undertaken a relevant level of experience (see below)
- at least six months’ relevant architectural experience in a UK practice (RIBA Part 1 experience is acceptable)
- an enthusiasm for both residential architecture and quality design solutions as well as interior solutions
- an excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- will need to be able to communicate effectively over the telephone with clients, suppliers and other professionals
IT and other competencies:
- ability to hand-draw and sketch to a decent standard
- good command of CAD (Concept Eight Architects work in AutoCAD 2D)
- good command of office systems (Word, Excel) – essential
- good presentation skills (Photoshop and Indesign – essential
- good modelling skills (SketchUp and/or other 3D modelling packages desirable)
Professional practice skills
The candidate must be able to demonstrate competence in most if not all of the following areas:
- excellent design skills, with the ability to explore and present thoughtful options for review and development
- understanding of detailing and basic building technologies, materials and how they are assembled
- experience with technical drawings
- understanding of technical standards, regulatory frameworks and CDM/H&S requirements
- personable, sociable and a positive member of the team
- offer opinion and review colleagues’ work
- present your ideas to the team for them to review your designs
- work across teams and assist others on their projects
- get involved in non-work team social and sports activities
- office management tasks shared by all team members in the office
Please submit your application using the ‘apply’ link below.