Cutwork has an opportunity for a furniture designer to join its studio in Paris, France.
Cutwork is an architecture design studio focused on new ways to live and work. We are looking for an furniture designer/industrial production manager with five+ years’ experience to join our team in Paris. This is a continuous ongoing call to meet and connect with design talent.
We design spaces and furniture for pioneering companies who are reimagining the ways we live and work.
Our multi-use architectural plans and flexible interior concepts make it easy to transform spaces between usages, build better communities, and encourage collaboration. You can read more about our vision here.
Recent projects include Station F, the largest startup campus in the world home to 1000+ startups and the European hubs of Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon; FLATMATES, the first large-scale coliving space in Paris for 800+ entrepreneurs; and the Cortex Shelter by Cutwork, an innovative flat-pack kit housing solution to help address the refugee housing crises.
We are looking for a furniture designer with five+ years of experience taking products from sketch to production, with experience in production management, who would be passionate to help us reinvent traditional furniture to better support modern usages, lifestyles, and communities.
You will definitely get along with us if:
- you are hungry to grow and you see challenges of life as the easiest way to learn
- you love to nerd-out about culture, industrial design, production processes, furniture systems and architecture
- you are ambitious, work hard and aspire to inspire positive change
- you believe in the impact of a well implemented clever design
- you value your originality, know yourself well, say what you think, and thrive in collaborative problem-solving
- you revere simplicity (Japanese sensibilities for the win)
What to expect…
This position will expand your experience in the world of industrial design, furniture, engineering, production management, prototyping, fabrication, project/cost management, materials, product research, spatial concept, coworking, coliving and hospitality spaces.
With breakout success of our early projects, now is the moment we are transitioning from being a startup to being a fully established architecture design studio. We are still just a small team, so every voice at the table counts and shapes the studio’s growth. This is an opportunity to get in on the ground-floor. We hope that you will grow with us.
- participate in the development of interior design concepts with ideas for specialised furniture to fit specific usages, multi-functionality, and activity of the space
- develop new furniture products, both for client projects and to expand our base collection
- manage large-scale production, prototyping, and delivery – coordinate with factories and key partners
- manage margins between client budget and production costs
- lead the furniture branch of the studio: opportunity to build team, develop new product categories, research innovative product strategies, etc.
- five years’ working experience as an industrial designer or production manager
- we do not require a degree in architecture or design, only relevant experience in the field
- we are an international team working with international clients. Speaking at a native level of English is required
- experience in taking designs through from sketches to production.
- mechanically-minded – interested in how things are built and work, and the desire to understand and exploit new processes.
- experience with digital manufacturing – laser sheet/tube cutting is preferred
- experience in designing for metal fabrication
- experience managing production runs, including products requiring several separate suppliers
- adaptive and proactive problem-solving approach
- proficiency with SolidWorks, Rhino, 3ds Max, Adobe creative suite, MS Excel
- sharp compositional and photographic eye
- a great sense of humour
- natural entrepreneur instincts
- experience in kit housing, prefab cabins, assembly systems and architectural structure
- proficiency in French
Candidates should be based-in or able to live/work in Paris with willingness to travel within Europe (travel expenses reimbursed) when needed.
Please don’t hesitate to apply if you live somewhere else in the world but can demonstrate that you are an excellent communicator and can hold your own as a remote team member.
- start date: flexible
- freelance position for trial period of three months
- successful trail candidates will be considered for full-time opportunities
If you feel that you are a good match, please submit the following documents using the ‘apply’ link below.
- your CV
- a cover letter
- desired salary
- a PDF portfolio of your work (or a link to your website) that demonstrates strong design sensibilities and proficiency in the skills above