Design International is looking for an architectural assistant/tenant design coordinator to join its team in London.
Design International (DI) is an architectural practice based in London, with branch offices in Milan, Shanghai and Dubai, operating on a global scale and providing clients with impressive, innovative and ambitious design solutions. Largely recognised as specialists and thought leaders in retail design, the practice also offers their clients mixed-use and hospitality multi-disciplinary services across the following integrated divisions; architecture, interior design, landscape design, lighting design, master planning and branding. The practice has been delivering award-winning designs for over 50 years.
DI has always maintained a focus on the retail and leisure sector. We understand retailers’ needs and requirements and have been instrumental in the creation of retail opportunities for some of the major international operators in our shopping centre projects. DI combines contemporary creative thinking with a bespoke local sensibility, striking a balance between strong design and buildings that are sensitive to their surroundings, creating a meeting place and sense of belonging for visitors.
In every retail scheme, we work in collaboration with the tenant coordination manager, letting agent and technical pilotage company employed by the client. We produce a storefront design manual which is issued to every tenant, this is especially formulated to ensure that the tenants’ shop front designs and layouts are in keeping with the overall architectural design intent of the building, each design submitted has to be checked and approved before the tenant can commence the construction drawings. Site visits are undertaken to check conformity and quality.
Soon we will have three projects in the UAE, two in India and several in Italy all requiring tenant design coordination services. This creates an opportunity for a Part 2 architectural assistant to assist with the initial stages of the tenant shopfront design approval process, and thus some experience in commercial building construction and a passion for retail design are required.
As a Part 2 architectural assistant/retail design coordinator, you will be working in close partnership with the retail director, interfacing with the client’s tenant coordinator. You will be responsible for assisting with the management and production of a review log for each project, maintaining progress plan updates and the regular report issued to the client team. Most importantly, you must demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness in your work.
What we’re looking for:
- strong background and knowledge in architecture and construction
- experience in retail and sign design
- provide consistent communication and quick response time
- enjoy working in a fast pace environment
- highly organised and able to coordinate multiple project information
- someone who’s willing to go ‘above and beyond’ to resolve issues
- complex thinker who can easily problem solve and manage multiple tasks
- team player who helps whenever support is needed without hesitation
- must be a self-starter with a ‘can-do/go-getter/whatever it takes’ attitude
- ability to learn various types of software and follow the tenant design review process in short order
- adapt to any situation, wear multiple hats, perform multiple functions, and is a people person
Desired skills, expertise, experience:
- excellent written and spoken English, additional languages of advantage
- RIBA Part 2 qualified/equivalent with at least two years’ post-qualification professional experience; experience on retail/mixed-use projects is preferred
- strong knowledge of relevant software (such as AutoCAD, Office and Adobe applications)
- excellent design and communication skills
- able to use initiative and a creative approach to problem-solving
- able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines, in a rapidly changing environment
Remuneration: dependent on candidate’s level of experience and qualifications/skills, plus an annual discretionary bonus.
Location: London, UK
Start date: immediately
Please submit a cover letter, CV and portfolio using the ‘apply’ link below.
Please specify whether you are eligible to work in the UK.