Design South East is seeking a design adviser to join its team in London.
Role: design advisor
We are recruiting a design advisor (Grade 1). We are looking for an organised and proactive individual from a built environment background with excellent writing skills.
Leave: 30 days plus statutory holidays
Location: hybrid – working from home and our London office
Who we are
Design South East is a not-for-profit design organisation that works with planning authorities, design professionals, landowners, developers and local communities across London and the south east. Our purpose is to support quality of life through the promotion of best-practice, sustainable placemaking, which is the foundation of our work. Our service delivery spans design review and design workshops, policy development, strategy and visioning, stakeholder engagement, and design training. We help to improve the quality of the built environment through the practical application of best practice guidance and tailored advice on good design in the planning system.
Our work engages with all types of project and scales of development. Our team is highly motivated and committed to delivering social value. We believe that the best solutions come from collaboration and from inter-disciplinary, cross-sector knowledge-sharing. We work with a network of around 200 experts from a variety of built environment disciplines who form our expert panels. These are the leading practitioners and thinkers in their fields, and we harness their passion and knowledge to address the challenges of good growth to create positive outcomes in a changing environment.
More information can be found at here.
Your primary responsibility will be the planning and delivery of design review sessions, including associated project management.
You will be responsible for:
- project managing design review panel meetings, including liaising with local authorities, stakeholders and panel members and planning the delivery of the session in full
- working alongside the chair of the design review meeting to ensure that all key issues are discussed and the meeting is kept to time
- synthesising complex design review panel discussions into clear, concise written reports
- supporting the design advisor team with the management of our local authority clients and working with them to agree the right format and timing of our input
- capturing the impact of the design review sessions you manage and writing case studies
- contributing to the planning, development and delivery of workshops
- supporting the delivery of our learning events
- developing and maintaining accurate records in our CRM system, keeping data up to date and GDPR compliant and compiling this information to enable the planning, preparation and delivery of client meetings, presentations, reports and annual reviews
Who we are looking for
The role is focussed on design review though you will also contribute to the delivery of workshops and training events.
You will need to show us you have the following experience and qualities:
- a built environment education to minimum honours degree level or equivalent and/or a built environment professional qualification
- at least one year of post-qualification experience as a built environment professional, working in planning, design or policy
- proven project management skills
- excellent written communication skills, particularly report writing with the ability to synthesise complex discussions and information into concise, clear written reports
- excellent verbal communication skills
- knowledge of key issues relating to planning legislation/policy and the operation of local government
- understanding of the tools, techniques and principles of architecture and/or urban design and able to cite best practices examples
- experience of working autonomously but also as part of a team
- experience of working on projects that bring together different disciplines and stakeholders
We work with local authorities and their stakeholders across the wider south-east region and the successful candidate will be required to travel across the region.
This is an opportunity to broaden you understanding of design within the planning process and we are open to applications from all design and planning disciplines. You will use your expertise to help local authorities and their stakeholders deliver well designed places that deliver social value for their communities.
We do not expect you to have experience of delivering design reviews. We will provide a full induction programme to introduce you to the process and train you in its delivery.
Our team comprises Grade 1, 2 and 3 design advisors. This is a Grade 1 position. We offer opportunities to continuously develop your skills and knowledge. We also provide for career development within Design South East, enabling you to take on more responsibility, including contract and client management, and to take a lead on the development of services for the clients you manage.
How to apply
To apply please send the following using the ‘apply’ link below:
- an up-to-date CV (max 2 pages of A4)
- a covering letter explaining why you are motivated to work for Design South East
The application deadline is 12 noon Friday 24 June 2022.
Interviews will be held w/c 11 July 2022.
A written communication exercise and presentation will form part of the interview.
If having read this pack, you require an informal conversation about the role please email [email protected] who will book an appointment with our head of design advice.
DSE is committed to equal opportunities, and we value the diversity of perspectives that people from different backgrounds bring to our work. We positively encourage applications from eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identification, ethnicity, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief or sexual orientation.