A small design studio in London is seeking a senior technical designer/draughtsperson to join its practice.
The studio specialises in the concept, design and fabrication of retail environments. The projects range from global window roll-outs to pop-up shops and bespoke displays.
The successful applicant will be joining a small team working within the production department seeing projects fabricated in the workshop on a daily basis.
The role will involve:
- overseeing/advising on all work, which includes giving technical/construction advice and solving problems
- bridging the gap between creative design and fabrication
- producing technical drawings, CAD/CAM files for CAD/CAM processes
- solving technical problems, specifying materials fixings and manufacturing techniques
- helping to deliver fully resolved technical/construction drawings to both our in-house construction team and outsourced specialist contractors
- managing juniors/freelancers when required
- working closely with project managers on budgets and costings for entire project to make sure technical and creative integrity is maintained
- being part of a hand full of people in the company that oversees quality control on production jobs
- liaising with suppliers, clients and project managers to ensure projects are well communicated and on-track when required
Our ideal candidate will have:
- a minimum of three years’ technical design experience preferably within the retail display/shop-fitting or exhibition/events or staging industry
- an expert knowledge of CAD software. Rhinoceros 3D would be ideal
- experience in creating 3D models
- significant experience in creating and reading construction drawings quickly and to a high standard
- expert knowledge of CNC processes and how to create drawings for them
- an active interest in all areas of design, with experience and knowledge in a variety of different design practices
- an excellent understanding of fabrication, materials and assembly processes
- experience in a fast-paced workshop environment – preferably some hands-on workshop experience
- expert understanding of carpentry and joinery techniques
- great attention to detail
- good knowledge and experience of metalwork techniques
- broad understanding of other construction/model-making/prop-making processes. Print would be a bonus
- ability to accurately site survey and produce work to a high level of accuracy and tolerance
How to apply
Applicants should submit their cover letter and CV using the ‘apply’ link below.
Due to the anticipated volume of applications, we are only able to respond to applicants selected for interview.