Feix&Merlin is looking for a mid-weight interior designer to join its studio in London.
Feix&Merlin Architects is an award-winning creative design studio, working in architecture and interiors, co-founded by Julia Feix and Tarek Merlin in 2006.
As a small practice, you will get the chance to be involved in some of our most exciting projects, dealing directly with clients and contractors, you will play a vital role in all stages from concept design through to completion.
We are currently a team of nine, with additional freelancers, and we will continue to grow organically as we take on larger and more complex projects. You will also help shape the way the studio grows, and hopefully become a driving force within the company, acting as an inspirational figure and mentor to more junior members of the team.
Our studio is in the Bussey Building, Peckham, a big industrial space with lots of other creatives in the building, as well as lots of restaurants and bars in the area.
We have a number of great projects in the studio including two new-build houses in Dulwich and Birmingham, three hotel projects in Amsterdam, Hamburg and London and the refurbishment of Walworth Town Hall, a Grade 2 listed heritage building in Walworth that was partially damaged in a fire in 2015.
Above all, we are looking for someone who will fit in with the little family of talented architects and interior designers we have created. Someone with confidence and character that would enjoy being part of a growing design studio.
Skills and qualifications:
- a mid-weight interior designer with three-plus years’ post-qualification experience of commercial, hotel and residential projects
- experience in liaising directly with clients and coordinating with other consultants, specialists and suppliers
- enjoys and is confident in presenting ideas and materials to others
- proactive, positive and passionate attitude towards work
- strong attention to detail with good organisational skills
- works well under pressure and can juggle a multitude of different tasks at one time
- self-motivator who takes ownership of projects works independently and effectively to prioritise their daily workload
- ability to interpret and implement a creative vision and deliver original design concepts/ideas
- ability to design joinery, bespoke furniture, lighting and fixed finishes as part of producing technical packages and detailed drawings
- holds a good understanding of working around various schedules, deadlines, and budgets
- experience in FF&E, sourcing, coordination and scheduling, along with a good knowledge of industry trends
- experience in advising and commenting on both contractor and architects/consultants’ drawings and the specifications and production
- excellent communication skills, in both written and verbal English
- confident and innovative when expressing your creativity
- focused, detail-oriented, and resourceful approach to problem-solving
- interest in architectural elements and technical drawings
- confident in attending site meetings on behalf of the company and the client, reporting to senior designer or director
- willingness to lead and mentor other team members and to help develop their abilities as designers
- Vectorworks (essential)
- Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign and Photoshop (essential)
- Microsoft Office; Excel; Word and Outlook are (essential)
- SketchUp (essential)
- handrawn sketches/visuals (desirable)
- familiar and comfortable using Apple hardware and OS (desirable)
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK and would ideally be available to start from February 2020.
How to apply:
- please submit submissions, by email only, with a digital copy of your CV to max. 10MB
- please include some examples of technical drawings and documents that you have created
- please also provide a covering letter outlining how you meet the criteria
- please set out your salary expectations in the covering letter