Gluckman Smith Architects is seeking a project architect to join its team in London.
We are an award-winning contemporary design practice established in 2010, with a strong belief in the power of architecture to change all our lives for the better. Our work includes residential, workspace and hospitality projects in both urban and rural locations, serving a wide variety of businesses, estates and private clients. The practice has offices in London and the Cotswolds.
Projects often involve working with and responding to historic buildings and contexts. Our design process aims for an architecture which balances poetic and rational sensibilities. The practice is recognized for producing buildings where fresh thinking and a refined finish are desired in response to their context.
We are an enthusiastic team, who enjoy taking a proactive and positive approach to our work. We are a friendly and social practice and maintain a strong work-life balance.
Experience and role
You will have at least three years’ qualified UK experience, including new build and refurbishment projects in and around London. You should have a good knowledge of construction methods, detailing and current legislation. An appreciation of conservation issues is essential, along with an enthusiasm for contemporary adaptation and re-use of historic buildings and landscapes.
The role will involve providing a lead on projects through all RIBA work stages. You will report to the partners but also be able to work independently, within a dynamic team.
You should have excellent skills in communication and the ability to coordinate. You should be confident working directly with clients, consultants, statutory authorities and contractors. Proficiency in CAD drawing and 3D visualisation is required and the ability to sketch by hand is desirable. A firm commitment both to innovative design and professional rigour will need to be demonstrated. You will be expected to work to budgets and deliver to deadlines.
- excellent communication and confidence in dealing with clients
- a good understanding of construction methods and detailing
- knowledge of conservation
- knowledge of NBS and writing specifications
- good understanding of building regulations and relevant legislation
- an intuition for good design
- knowledge of residential refurbishment projects
- ability to work as a team and collaborate with colleagues and other consultants
- good understanding of planning system and strategic policies
- an ability to work to deadlines
- excellent written and spoken English language skills
Competitive salary offered.
Please provide your CV with examples of your work. Applications made via the ‘apply’ link below. Applications may also be made by post. No agencies please.
112 Great Western Studios
+44(0)20 7998 1525