Happy Building is seeking a senior architectural designer with residential design experience to join its team in Sutton, UK.
The role will work closely with senior architects, head of architecture department and executives, and offer mentoring and training to interns. The ideal candidate will have strong management and leadership skills along side in-depth design knowledge. The start date is January 2024.
Happy Building creates spaces that positively impact our customers’ lives. We live by the values of trust, respect, teamwork and excellence. It’s a world where everyone involved feels happy and fulfilled. We’d love you to share the experience. Read on to meet the challenge!
We’re an architectural design and construction management company with a love of creative inspiration. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and experienced ARB registered architect who wishes to advance their career. Happy Building is not the typical ‘design and build’ company, we are in constant transformation and dedicated to the betterment of our services, products as well as the betterment of ourselves as individuals and as a team. Our focus is on delivering high-quality houses and spaces via a complete peace of mind process to our clients, and as a result, we create not just totally satisfied clients but raving fans. We also have other pressing priorities such us the personal development of each team member and their general wellness.
As part of the Happy Building architecture team, the senior architect has a lot of design autonomy to create inspirational and creative proposals. The role is a split between design, managing the planning process, cost feasibility exercises and tender process management. There are several senior and experience architects onboard to ensure that you will have a high-quality induction and ongoing mentorship. The level of exposure to several different activities and deliverables, along with the level of autonomy, continued learning and mentorship that we commit towards all team members, makes the Happy Building proposition unique and exciting.
The role of the senior architect is amongst one of the most varied and exciting but also demanding roles in the company as they are responsible to inspire the client, manage their expectations throughout the project, deliver efficiently against deadlines while efficiently managing several stakeholders’ agendas and third parties. All of this happens at a considerable fast pace which can be quite demanding but equally rewarding.
- must be passionate about delivering outstanding customer service
- must be able to communicate and express ideas using hand draw sketches
- proficient in AutoCad and presentation software
- must be able to pick up new software rapidly
- must be flexible and able to juggle the changing needs of a fast-paced organisation
- manage the time and delivery of multiple clients at any one time
- a detailed knowledge of UK planning regulations and a full understanding of building regulations and their impact on design
- excellent design and detailing skills
- able to demonstrate an expert flair for design and creativity
- able to inspire both trust and excitement through a non-assertive but confident manor
- generate buy in from stakeholders to maximise the highest quality design
- positive attitude and motivated to achieve
- committed to professional and professional growth and development
- willing to take full ownership of their position and the projects they undertake
- a team player committed to adding value
- happy to try new things to learn and grow
- deliver initial project consultation and vetting the client
- five-star customer ratings
- running of multiple high-profile projects simultaneously
- main point of contact for clients
- manage and control client communications
- manage and control client expectations
- execute site measured surveys with precision and efficiently
- develop concept design sketches and drawings
- produce accurate architectural drawings reflecting creative solutions whilst adhering to UK planning legislations to achieve maximum conversion on first submittal
- ensure that any proposed designs are buildable
- develop feasibility studies
- prepare and submit planning applications, and manage the planning process
- coordination with the structural engineering team
- develop job specifications
Qualifications and experience:
- educated to RIBA part 3 or equivalent – applicants who have not completed their Part 3 but have suitable experience and skill sets may be considered
- detailed experience of UK planning and working knowledge of UK building regulations
- a minimum of five years of practical experience on residential projects
- a minimum of one year experience conducting site measured survey
- experience in a customer facing role environment and taking direct briefs from clients
- high proficiency in AutoCAD Career Path
The senior architectural designer position is a spear head of the design and architecture department success. As an senior architectural designer, you will have many career path opportunities. It is up to you to choose what best suites your goals and ambition. The most likely paths will be to progress forward to management level, recruiting and managing a team of architects and designers. The role also offers opportunities to exposure of live site projects. Following progression to a management level position, there are several other opportunities, including head of department and leadership team.
What else can I expect?
- drive and inspire clients towards beautifully designed spaces that are in line with the company direction
- coordination with the construction teams
- leadership and mentoring of the design team executives and interns
- base reporting to the head of department
- working within a structured positive organisation with defined routes for career progression through the organisation structure
- competitive salaries and clear salary progression in line with the established Happy Building career path
- exposure to a broad spectrum and high flux of projects and scenarios within a fast-paced environment
- opportunity to further your knowledge and explore opportunities in other business areas if you so wish to pursuit
- mentoring programmes from executive through the career path all the way to leadership
- be part of a fun, engaging, positive team that shares a common vision and support each other’s individual goals
- fun and creative team social gatherings
- several company perks, eg. free coffee at Nero’s, birthday leave, paid family leave, personal development courses, office massage
- phone, laptop
The recruiting process
- phase 1: initial phone interview
- phase 2: face to face interview with head of architecture and another senior manager
- phase 2b: (same day) undertake a practical scenario test to review knowledge and applicant approach to measured survey and AutoCAD skills
- phase 3: deciding interview for the two finalists
Happy Building is an equal opportunity employer. We offer dynamic career opportunities with growth potential. If you wish to apply, please send your CV and a cover letter via the apply for job button below.
This position is only available to applicants based in the United Kingdom