Herman Miller is hiring a creative director to join its team in Michigan, New York, Atlanta, or United Kingdom.
You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work at Herman Miller as a creative director and make both.
About this opportunity
- responsible for the alignment of creative efforts for the assigned brands/product portfolio, across regions and businesses
- establish and champion a clear vision for each of the brands and how they meet their customers
- actively partner with business unit leaders and product teams to assure that the brand’s products align with that vision
- partner with product design leadership to brief, review and guide creative content of products
- work to influence and align all creative work connected with the brands, across all touchpoints: products, experiences, communications
- contribute to the development and implementation of strategies to grow the brands in all the business units that bring it to market
What you’ll do
You’ll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as someone who . . .
- champion efforts to achieve cohesiveness and consistency of creative work across product design and development, communications, and customer experience
- establish and communicate a clear, ownable and actionable brand vision. Coach product teams, business partners and broader organization on all brand connected designs to ensure alignment and build brand strength.
- along with marketing and commercial leadership, provide guidance or redirection on critical brand communications and experience projects, assuring that all creative initiatives are optimally aligned with brand vision
- co-author product creative design briefs that reflect the needs of the business and clarify the design problem to design partners. Approve design talent or approach for project work.
- maintain awareness of trends that broadly influence the contract office, hospitality and residential furnishings industries
- maintain knowledge of global product design talent, both established and emerging, constantly seeking potential design partners for the brand.
- maintain strong working relationships with all designers that contribute to the brand
- partner with creative directors across the organization to build best practices, clarify unique brand propositions and to build the overall strength of the group
- partner with marketing leadership, art directors and creative studio leadership; input into creative briefs for communications and marketing initiatives. Act as the link between business unit, marketing and brand design via creative reviews
- provide guidance and direction to product design and development teams at key phases of the development process to assure new products align with brand
- serve as design voice and ambassador for the brand to field sales, dealers, customers and media
- work collaboratively with product category leadership, commercial leadership, sales, marketing and merchandising teams to define long term product strategy and priorities for the HMG brands and businesses
Sound like you?
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have . . .
- Bachelor’s degree liberal arts or design or related field; or equivalent combination of education and professional experience
- At least ten years of in-depth experience in product design, design management and overall experience design. In-depth understanding of the furnishings industry
- work history across design disciplines including print, digital and experience design
- strong relationship and consensus-building skills necessary to manage projects in a complex matrixed environment. Demonstrated ability to lead, influence and work with all levels in the organization
- expert ability to think strategically and execute tactically
- ability to use a broad business acumen and holistic perspective to see opportunities and risks of potential trade-offs
- demonstrated leadership competence, including the proven ability to effectively focus resources to implement a business strategy, generate excitement and commitment to vision and ability to implement goals that drive innovation and change
- demonstrated excellent coaching, mentoring, and people development skills
- demonstrated outstanding written/verbal communication skills, and a proven capability to present complex concepts in a concise and understandable way to a variety of audiences including the highest level of the organization
Who we are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high-quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.