Hull Studio is looking for a furniture designer/project manager to join its team in London.
A furniture design studio is looking for a furniture designer to join our small dynamic team. Hull Studio is a multidisciplinary design studio with the ethos that lies in exploring the relationship between traditional craftsmanship, modern technology and organic design. Our work includes limited edition art pieces, private commissions for superyacht and luxury residential sectors as well as product and interior design.
About the role:
The successful candidate will be working closely with the creative director, assisting with research, concepting, translating hand-sketch information into 3D renders and models, preparing presentation layouts, design development and detailing, assisting with creating final 3D technical models and 2D drawings for production, liaising with technical draftsmen, checking manufacturing drawings and issuing them to the workshops for production.
The role will also involve day-to-day communication with the clients, makers, suppliers and subcontractors on the ongoing projects, negotiating and overseeing timelines, costs, resolving technical problems, attend site meetings, overseeing installations, conducting quality checks at the workshops. Therefore it is important that the candidate can stay calm and organised under pressure, and work on multiple projects, seeing each through to completion.
As a key member of our team, you will be working on a wide variety of exciting bespoke projects for high-profile superyacht and international residential projects, as well as art projects exhibited at the major design/art exhibitions. No two projects are the same. In addition, there will be an opportunity to work closely with various makers, from traditional cabinetmakers and leatherworkers to high-tech composite manufacturers.
We are a very busy and fast-growing studio and there is a real opportunity to make a difference and grow with the company. Our studio is located in the vibrant Bermondsey area of London. Flexible working hours can be discussed.
Required skills and qualifications:
- previous experience in furniture design is a must
- degree in a relevant design discipline
- experience in bespoke and high-end sector is an advantage
- proficiency with 3D modelling and Rendering software, including Rhino, 3DS Max and VRay
- proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- working Knowledge of AutoCAD
- highly organised with strong prioritisation skills
- meticulous attention to detail
- positive and pro-active attitude
- self-driven, strong use of initiative and creative problem-solving skills
- fast learner
- ability to work flexibly within a small team
- staying calm and organised under pressure, managing multiple streams of work at once, to a consistently high standard
- financial awareness
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- proficiency with Microsoft Office
- excellent presentation skills
- keen interest in luxury market and high-end design/art
- passion for creativity and utmost quality
- working closely with creative director
- research and mood-boards preparation
- design development
- translating hand-sketch information into 3D
- creating visuals for client presentations
- assisting with 3D models for production
- facilitate the development of the work plan, budget, and schedule
- delivering neat, clear and accurate design information and schedules to the clients and manufacturers
- liaising with the technical draftsmen to ensure the manufacturing drawings are done in accordance with the design intent, on time and within the agreed budget
- checking manufacturing drawings and issuing them to the workshops for production
- attending site and client meetings, taking meeting notes and preparing reports
- sourcing new suppliers and materials
- day-to-day communication with the clients, makers, suppliers and subcontractors on the ongoing projects, negotiating and overseeing timelines, costs, resolving technical problems
- visiting suppliers and subcontractors and conducting quality control checks
- coordinating and overseeing the installation on board a yacht or at a residential site
- assisting with other aspects of project management on multiple design projects
- taking on full ownership of the selected design projects, overseeing them from the design stage through to the manufacture and installation
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and digital portfolio pdf.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to complete a test assignment, before being invited for a face-to-face interview. Due to the high number of applications we are only able to reply to the shortlisted candidates.
Experienced Part-III architect
at Paul Vick Architects
Part-II architectural assistant/architect
at Gibson Thornley