Institut supérieur des arts de Toulouse is hiring an art faculty professor of design to join its faculty in Toulouse, France.
Context / missions
isdaT – institut supérieur des arts de Toulouse – is an Établissement Public de Coopération Culturelle that provides courses in art, design, graphic design, music and dance.
Under the authority of the managing director, the art faculty professor of design provides an introductory course within the framework of isdaT and devises classes in year one, as well as in the first and second cycle of the design option.
- guarantee the progression of the lessons as well as the teaching methods that will foster and enhance practice.
- establish a pedagogical and methodological connection between the first-year students and design option students.
- monitor the progress of the first-year works and projects as well as the first and second cycle of the design option and organises with them the various periods of experimentation and production, taking the pedagogical deadlines of the year into account (productions in technical workshops, short courses, spatialisation, theses, evaluations, diplomas) and the overall organisation of the curses.
- provide a regular presence and involvement in the classes, workshops, and core course projects in year one as well as in the first and second cycle of the Design option.
- teach design as a practice in year one and in the first and second cycle of the design option, containing an introduction to the materials and to production, in association with the teaching assistants of the technical workshops, and incorporating ongoing questions pertaining to modes of dissemination and media, taking into account the specificities of the
relationship between theory and practice that are inherent to art and design school programmes.
- make pedagogical proposals that aim to connect design practices with theoretical stakes, as this is one of the main expectations for this position.
- ensure the monitoring of theses (second cycle design) and the students’ art projects.
- introduce the students to a critical and reflexive approach to contemporary concerns of design production and reception, pertaining to social and environmental problematics.
- guarantee the acquisition among the students of these practices as an essential means for the development of their future projects and instils working methods suitable for individual and collective forms by exploring the diversity of contemporary approaches.
- develop pedagogical proposals, in keeping with the core criteria of the option and the institution’s projects, in conversation with the professors, teaching assistants, and monitors in charge of the technical workshops.
- collectively and individually guide the students in the development, creation, and critical analysis of their projects.
- proactively provide suggestions for the conference and workshop programmes, research days and external partnerships, current or future research projects in relation to French or foreign partners or entities.
- participate in pedagogical meetings, evaluations, juries, open days, and other activities relating to the life of the institution, in addition to the 16 hours present with the students.
- a highly experienced designer, whose production falls within a national and international network of creation, commission, exhibition, dissemination and reception, publication, and critical activities
- solid culture in design history
- aptitude for collegiate work
- desire to teach and share expertise
- the practice of at least one foreign language, since the institute develops European and international exchanges
- desire to get involved in the institute’s project
Description of the position
- employment framework for art faculty professors
- recruitment by statutory or contractual means
- weekly schedule: full time, 16 hrs. per week
- statutory pay and benefits
- date of commencement: September 2020
Applications (a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, and artist’s portfolio) should be addressed to the Chair, Madame Catherine Blanc, by email only, at the address email@example.com, by Sunday 28 June 2020 (midnight) at the latest.
Interviews with the shortlisted candidates will be held on Monday 6 July 2020.