Islington Council is looking for a principal urban design officer to join its team in London.
Role: principal urban design officer
We are looking for a passionate, experienced, and enthusiastic urban design professional to join our busy, dedicated design and conservation team to help support the delivery of Islington council’s new build (housing) programme.
It is an incredibly exciting time to join the wider team. The council has committed to delivering the most ambitious house-building programme in Islington for 30 years, building at least 550 new genuinely affordable homes for our residents by 2022. The council has adopted ambitious planning
policies and promotes the use of the Islington design review panel to ensure that our communities benefit from the highest quality design that also protects and enhances the borough’s unique built environment.
To succeed in this role, you will be customer-focussed and have excellent negotiation and communications skills. The ability to use your initiative to find creative solutions is essential.
You will have the skills and experience to:
- understand the principles of excellent design and place-making and have experience (or demonstrable ability) to advise on how to achieve high quality infill development within a dense urban context
- assess complex major applications that require a careful balance of competing policies, paying careful attention to detail and delivering high quality work
- work closely and collaboratively with the new build development officers and other consultees to help shape new housing proposals
- assess the impact of new build developments on the borough’s 41 conservation areas and 4,500 listed buildings drawing on a sound working knowledge of related heritage policy, legislation and setting guidance
- work well under pressure, manage competing priorities and meet tight deadlines
- engage productively with stakeholders
If this is you then we want to hear from you.
For an informal chat about this role please contact Sarah Wilson on 020 7527 2364 (Mon-Wed) or Emma Lawrence on 020 7527 2327
Islington council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff, and volunteers to share this commitment.
Islington council is also committed to flexible working and will consider requests where possible.
Islington also operates random drug or alcohol testing for safety critical roles or for where there maybe just cause.
Please note that the council only accepts online applications, no CV’s or alternative forms of applications are accepted.
If you are unable to use the online process please contact the recruitment team on 020 7527 2155 or submit your application using the ‘apply’ link below on Dezeen Jobs.
Closing date: 21 April 2019 23:59.
Interviews are expected to be held during the week 6 May 2019.