Jason Bruges Studio is seeking a junior-mid design engineer to join its team in London.
Jason Bruges is the creative director of Jason Bruges Studio, which he founded in April 2002. He leads a pioneering team of architects, engineers, designers, creative technologists, programmers and computational designers to design and build ground-breaking installations across the world. The design studio and in-house workshop is based in London Fields, East London.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and collaborative junior mechanical, structural or design engineer to join our busy design studio. Working on a wide range of international projects, from smaller temporary installations to permanent architectural scale works, you will help develop, prototype, test and build digital artworks. You will be led by the senior engineer and work closely with: the design and creative technology team, production managers and computational designers. You will help to ensure the project output is to the highest standard.
Your day-to-day work includes working closely with the senior design engineer and production team on mechanical, structural and technical solutions to design problems. The role involves extensive testing and experimentation throughout the design process. Alongside our senior design engineer, you will also be translating design concepts into engineered solutions, liaising with manufacturers, and installing artwork. You’ll be well versed in design for manufacture and routinely produce drawing packages to communicate your ideas to our manufacturers.
We are looking for someone who has a good team spirit and mature attitude, an understanding of workflows and coordination of projects and can work independently and with direction. You can demonstrate both the ability to be technically minded working with 3D modelling and producing technical drawing packages, as well as having previous hands-on workshop experience making, testing, and building prototypes. You will have a great interest in the cross-relation of technology, art and design.
Essential skills and knowledge:
- demonstrate wide experience in manufacturing processes with metal, wood and plastics
- first-hand experience with the integration of mechanical (stepper motors, linear actuators) and electrical hardware (LED tape, PCB) within bespoke structures
- sufficiently confident in metalworking and woodworking skills
- well-organised and able to work well under pressure
- plenty of practical experience
- design, as well as engineering-minded
- ability to output drawings and 3D models suited for the manufacture
- ability to liaise with both manufacturers and clients
- proven ability to create very fast turnaround prototypes
- strong solid and surface modelling skills
- comfortable with 3D modelling applications. Fusion 365, Solidworks, Rhino or similar
- proven experience in Adobe Creative suites
Desired skills and knowledge:
- able to bring your own list of suppliers
- experience working in either film, art, event production, internals, advertising, or arts fabrication
- finite element analysis experience
- experience in computational design such as Grasshopper
- electronics experience, Arduino and processing sketching
- hand sketching skills
- lighting experience
- project management
- seeing projects run from idea conception through to delivery
- experience working on multiple projects simultaneously.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
To apply please send your CV, cover letter via the apply for job button below making the application JBS_MDE_0423.