Kennedy Woods Architecture is seeking an experienced studio manager to focus on client account management and team operations with its team in London.
Kennedy Woods mission is to design kind, clever places to help people learn and grow. From school estate masterplans to interior fit-outs, we work hand-in-hand with schools and nurseries to create outstanding learning environments across a range of architectural scales.
As the UK’s first B Corporation architecture studio, we are dedicated to supporting innovative, sustainable development, and our process is underpinned by user-centred design principles, including user-research and engagement.
Our office is a light-filled studio, two minutes from Peckham Rye overground station, in South London.
We are a values-led company that believes a strong culture is the key to achieving fulfilment, producing great work and building lasting relationships. Ours is based upon the values of empathy, tenacity, questioning and spark, which are at the heart of everything we do.
Learn more at www.kennedywoods.co.uk or and via instagram @kennedywoodsstudio
About the role:
We are looking for a studio manager to oversee the smooth and efficient day-to-day planning and organisation of the studio, with a particular focus on client account management and team operations. This is a varied role that would suit a proactive, highly-organised individual with excellent administrative and communication skills.
You will be the bridge between clients and the team, and will need to bring a confident professional manner while representing the spirit and values of the studio, for both internal and external communications.
General financial management such as bookkeeping, accounts payable and expense tracking is not part of the role, but candidates are expected to be closely involved with project finances such as fee estimates, budget tracking and invoicing so need to be competent with spreadsheets.
As a small studio there is the expectation of flexibility to work across other areas as required. While not part of the core responsibilities below, there will likely be co-ordination with BD and marketing team to enable their work.
Client account management:
- liaise with prospective clients at scoping stage to understand business and project needs
- assist with bid co-ordination, fee estimates and contracts
- manage expectations, feedback and maintaining client satisfaction
- manage contracts, invoicing, scope creep, variations and additional fees
- lead onboarding of new clients and projects
- ensure a high-quality front of house experience maintained at the studio
HR and team resource management:
- manage allocation of internal and freelance team resource across projects to achieve effective utilisation, driving profitability within the practice
- ensure teams are juggling priorities and deadlines in the most effective way
- forecast future changes in workload and planning how to respond
- coordinate and oversee leave to minimise disruption
- talent management, including co-ordinating recruitment, onboarding, offboarding and staff performance and salary reviews
- support architects with project planning and management from initial scoping through to completion
- oversee monthly deadlines, project goals, expectations and workflows to ensure a smooth production process with on-time delivery
- review project progress against budgets with team to manage profitability
- review workflows to find improvements
- proof and review design documents at key milestones
- co-ordinate with the finance manager and admin support on financial matters
- support efficient day-to-day running of studio environment, including in relation to facilities, IT, H&S, visits, events, etc.
- support with digital information management, tracking, B Corp certification, etc.
Required skills and experience
- at least three years’ prior relevant experience managing a studio in architecture or similar creative design industry
- strong communicator with fluent written and spoken English
- excellent organisational and project management skills
- able to manage time and priorities between multiple responsibilities
- confident in Excel or Google Suite – familiarity with InDesign a plus
- all applicants must have the necessary working permits
What we can offer:
● salary level dependant on experience
● 28 days leave, plus studio closure between Christmas and New Year
● benefits package including health insurance and partial profit share bonus.
● good work-life balance with no work-late culture
● join part of a thriving creative community in Peckham
The role is full time but we are open to considering candidates who prefer to work part-time (four days per week or five shorter days, on a pro-rata’d salary).
How to apply:
Use the subject line “Studio Manager Job Application” and include a CV, portfolio of recent work via the apply button below.
Instead of adapting a generic cover letter, please provide four 140 character responses to the following questions:
- who are you? What is your story?
- what’s your favourite aspect of your current job and why?
- what interests you most in the world? (except design/architecture!)
- what changes would you make to Architectural education and why?