LAPD Lighting Design is seeking a product designer to join its firm in Welwyn Garden City, UK.
LAPD Lighting Design are an award-winning, independent and free-thinking consultancy that creates unique lighting and innovative product design solutions for an international clientele. Our team of specialists work with architects, retailers, designers and manufacturers to create inspirational lighting solutions that are both energy efficient and visually beautiful. We are continually searching for new ideas and pushing boundaries in light installations, lighting and product design.
We have over 18 years of product design experience accompanying successful developments with many leading manufacturing companies in the industry such as Zumtobel, Reggiani, Ansorg and Phillips. Due to an increase in diverse projects and clients, we are currently seeking to expand the product design department into both furniture and consumer products to accommodate this demand.
Vacancy overview and responsibilities
The role of product designer requires initiative and attention to detail, ultimately involving the following responsibilities:
- participation in client consultations, specialist and multidisciplinary meetings
- research into current design trends, materials, processes and market requirements
- involvement in initial sketch exploration, brainstorming and concept design
- engineering development of designs up until manufacture
- 3D CAD development of designs within relevant software (Solidworks)
- testing and validation of proposed designs via manual and rapid prototyping techniques
- production of concept renderings and product presentations
- demonstrate good time management and work allocation skills
- exhibit the ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously
Key skills and requirements:
- product design or design related university degree
- one-two years’ industry experience (consultancy or manufacturer) preferable
- ability to generate and communicate design ideas quickly and efficiently
- strong technical and creative skills
- good project management abilities and time organisation skills
- ability to work well within a team-based environment
- use of Solidworks and Photoview 360/Solidworks Visualise
- use of Adobe Photoshop
- use of Adobe InDesign
- passionate about design and an appreciation of the lighting industry
- relevant industry knowledge beneficial but not a requirement
Please submit a CV and a cover letter outlining your key ambitions in the role, including your salary expectations using the ‘apply’ link below.
Candidates will be considered as they apply, therefore early applications are encouraged.