Luum is hiring a product design engineer to join its studio in London.
Luum is a London-based lighting studio dedicated to the design, manufacture and delivery of spectacular lighting for interiors around the world. We have an enviable client list who commission us to develop innovative and technically complex designs in a range of sectors including commercial, public and residential spaces.
As a young company we have a unique opportunity for a talented design engineer to join our small but highly motivated team and play a significant role in our growth. We are looking for an individual to work alongside the creative director and take a lead in bringing our in house designs to life. From research into processes, LED technologies and control, through to design development, prototyping and production, we expect you to manage all parts of the process and play a key role in the development and launch of our new lighting collections.
The ideal candidate would come from a background of lighting and have proven experience in delivering complex designs with creative flair. We expect candidates to have in depth knowledge of manufacturing processes and materials, and a fantastic ability to solve problems and find creative solutions under time and budget constraints.
- independently, and using the resources of the design team, develop new designs from concept through to manufacture and market launch
- fully manage project schedules and budgets
- research new processes and push the boundaries of manufacturability and design
- identify new suppliers and establish good working relationships with an emphasis on quality
- develop designs proposals and prepare tender and quotation documents
- supervise junior product designers
- assist with the assembly and installation of bespoke commissions
Skills and experience:
- degree in industrial/product design, or equivalent
- you should have a minimum of five years’ experience as a product designer, preferably in the field of lighting
- you should be highly proficiency in Solidworks and Adobe. Autodesk Inventor/other CAD packages advantageous
- we expect you to be incredibly self-motivated, working independently and integrating with our sales/project and design team in all aspects of the design process
- you should have mechanical aptitude and hands-on experience with a pragmatic and practical approach
- you should actively find solutions to your challenges and have original and creative ideas
- you should have experience with supplier management including negotiating costs, setting, payment/delivery terms and implementing QC requirements
- you should find technical challenges interesting, and have high standards for quality and detail
- you strive for continuous improvement and excellence
Based in our studio near Peckham we can offer a dynamic and fast paced working environment with challenging projects and an ambitious team. The salary will depend on your skills and experience. We offer 25 days holiday, a generous pension scheme and a range of other benefits
How to apply
Please submit your application stating your availability and an explanation of why you would be right for the job. Please include a portfolio and CV.
The role will be based at our studio in London but may require travel in the UK and abroad.