Make is seeking a document controller to join its team in London.
Make is a studio of highly creative and talented architects and designers who have acquired considerable professional experience designing advanced, complex and iconic buildings.
We’re an equal opportunities employer committed to creating an open and egalitarian working environment.
This job description is not exhaustive and reflects the core activities required of this position. There will be changes specific to individual’s roles and responsibilities, and duties may change from time to time to respond to the studio and project needs.
In the Make studio, the document controller is responsible for the organisation of incoming and outgoing project-related drawings and contractual documents within Make’s document control management system (Newforma) and external FTP sites. This role will work across a number of different projects.
This role requires logical thinking and exemplary organisational skills. It will often involve working to deadlines and ensuring that project teams are following consistent filing procedures. The candidate will have a high level of initiative, be proactive and be able to communicate effectively at all levels. Confidentiality, a flexible approach and a willingness to learn are fundamental to the role’s success.
Document control core responsibilities
Make’s designated document control management system is Newforma, however we also use a number of different FTP sites and experience with Aconex is a must.
By implementing the Make project filing structure and using the relevant FTP sites, you will be responsible for:
- manage all incoming and outgoing drawings and technical documents issued via a range of external FTP sites
- save all incoming and outgoing drawing and document files on the Make network using a clear and consistent file-naming process
- prepare drawing issue sheets for all formal issuing of Make drawings and technical documents, and ensure all documentation is correctly submitted
- logging all outgoing drawings and technical documents in Newforma Document Control
- assist project teams by monitoring project workflows, anticipating busy periods and deadlines and advising teams accordingly
- assist project teams in collating and coordinating drawings and technical documents in preparation for issue
- assist project teams by printing/scanning/stamping/distributing drawings and technical documents to internal and external recipients in electronic and paper form, as and when required
- assist in the maintenance of the project directory and contacts information in Newforma and on the Make Intranet
- maintain a Sketch Register and archive all drawings and technical documents when a project is completed, in electronic and/or paper form, in collaboration with the project teams and the studio manager
- provide information, training and advice on document control procedures to all partners, ensuring the project teams comply with Make’s standard procedures for numbering documents, formal drawings and sketch drawings and annotating the drawing sheet title box
- liaise with external project information coordinators as and when required
- assist with the revision of document control policies and procedures as and when required, including updating the Make manuals
- refine best practice measures and processes with the team throughout the project life cycle
- develop and assess ongoing improvements to document management systems and working methods as and when required
- maintain a consistent system for archiving document-controlled project-related data, both within Newforma and the Archive database
- undertake day-to-day tasks from Make’s formal in and formal out mailboxes and actively implement formal in and formal out processes across new projects, in line with Make’s internal DC policies
- any other reasonable duties as directed by the document control manager or project leader
Core personal skills desired include:
- the ability to apply a high level of accuracy and attention to detail to all elements of this role
- excellent written and numerical skills, together with an articulate and diplomatic manner
- a personable and approachable character with a flexible attitude to work
- the ability to manage time and workload efficiently and be confident and proactive in the approach to daily tasks
- the ability to cope with conflicting demands, prioritise duties, work under pressure and have an inquisitive and creative mind that is accepting of change
- being a team player whilst able to perform well as an individual
- minimum requirements for this role are GCSEs (A-C) including English, A-Levels (A-C) and undergraduate, postgraduate or Higher National Diploma in a related subject or equivalent educational level
- experience working as a document controller and in a related sector is essential
- experience working with Aconex, Conject, 4Projects, Business Collaborator or Newforma would be ideal
Normal working hours are 9 am to 6 pm, although flexibility is sometimes required to work to project deadlines.