Maker&Son is seeking a content/social media/press manager to join its studio in West Sussex, UK.
Maker&Son is one of the world’s fastest-growing luxury-furniture businesses. We design and make the world’s most comfortable chairs, sofas and beds, entirely from natural materials.
We are a small family run business based in the UK and we are growing fast – as such, we need a highly motivated creative individual to join and help us tell our fabulous story. We are based in Balcombe (40 minutes from London by train, 20 minutes from Brighton) and we will need you to be based in our offices five days a week.
You will play an integral role in the organisation to help us boost our visual storytelling, allowing us to build brand awareness and trust through film, photography and graphic design. You will also proactively seek opportunities to promote Maker&Son to the press, interior designers and architects etc.
You will be experienced in pitching stories to a broad range of national and international print, broadcast and digital media outlets and will also be confident in using all major social media platforms to promote a brand. You will understand Maker&Son audiences and a wide set of media contacts will be important to this role. A self-starter, you will constantly scan the horizon for new ways to speak to audiences and will lead in securing support and coverage from online influencers.
You will lead on the planning and implementation of media campaigns. You will manage all press/digital outreach administration media packs, media/influencer/interior design liaison. Critical to success in this role will be the ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues across the company.
Role responsibilities will include:
- manage all our creative assets
- developing engaging and innovative brand focussed messages, principally for digital but also offline, in-house photography, film and editing
- assisting and liaising with regions in the localising of assets (as required)
- creating appropriate copy for all marketing/advertising/customer engagement purposes (Facebook/Instagram/MailChimp etc.)
- developing and editing graphic/video/photographic materials
- updating and maintaining all visual including, but not limited to website/Instagram/Pinterest assets
- responsible for posting innovative content across digital channels, ensuring social media channels are visually optimised in line with company branding and house style (Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, Houzz, Linkedin)
- ensuring all content is in line with our ongoing narrative and other brand messaging
- answering questions from customers via all social media platforms
- ensuring content produced is high quality and within the brand ethos/style
- develop an annual PR plan and deliver against the set targets including events
- create and maintain a media database
- proactively securing PR and trade press coverage
- proactively reaching out to interior designers, bloggers, influencers etc. and arranging appropriate events aimed at these audiences/groups (throughout the calendar year)
- responsible for creating and writing press releases
- create and review copy, where required for key stakeholders within Maker&Son
Skills and experience
We value drive and a willingness to learn.
The ideal candidate will have
- experience in filming, video editing, graphic design with knowledge and practical experience of using Final Cut Pro/Adobe
- the ability and creativity to produce and edit powerful and meaningful videos
- good knowledge of photographic software (Lightroom/Photoshop)
- good knowledge of design software (InDesign/Illustrator)
- an awareness of video/graphic design specifically for social media
- excellent writing skills with a keen awareness of the communication needs of diverse audiences
- a willingness to work independently, with an interest in developing your own skills and knowledge
- excellent attention to detail and good eye for design
- excellent writing skills with the ability to write press releases, features, articles, Q&As, statements
- a strategic self-starter outlook, someone who can create impact quickly
- the ability to thrive on building new and long-lasting relationships with the press
- event management experience
- excellent verbal and written communication skills, enabling you to work with colleagues cooperatively and collaboratively in the team and across the organisation
- a flexible approach both to the type of work undertaken and working hours as required to meet team objectives and ultimately customer needs, taking ownership and responsibility for work and performance
- a positive ‘can-do’ attitude and excellent work ethic
- an appreciation and understanding of our brand values and our working practices
- previous experience working for a luxury retail brand
- an interest in interior design
- a degree in social media or relevant level of experience
Our brand values
Creating and establishing a successful new luxury brand in established markets on a global scale requires many elements to come together harmoniously. To list the detail of all of these here would take considerable time but some of the main elements to achieve what we have so far are as follows:
We love what we do, we do what we say we do, we are what we say we are.
We are aware of the needs of our customers, we enjoy the continual process of understanding them and we go out of our way to ensure that we show them that we have this understanding.
We are respectful of the gift that we have been given to create this brand in the first place. We are respectful of and cherish the people that work with us as employees and suppliers. We are respectful and very grateful for the customers that engage with us. We are deeply respectful of the environment and all the resources we use to create the products that we do. We respect that customers have many choices and that we constantly need to be delivering to the best of our abilities in order to meet their needs.
We create extraordinarily comfortable sofas and chairs. This level of physical comfort can often enable the individual that sits in them to experience a level of mental comfort, peaceful mindfulness that they may otherwise find difficult to access. The element of comfort is further enhanced by the fact that the furniture is made with natural materials in a sustainable way, by highly-skilled people who love what they do and will last a lifetime.
We create content that connects and emotionally-engages with people by conveying the main benefits of what our sofas and chairs provide, namely physical and mental comfort.
We build trust through every part of what we do. Trust in the benefits of what our sofas and chairs bring, trust in the product, trust in the service. trust in the authenticity, trust in the brand.
We design and build products that last. We are designing and building business processes, teams and supplier networks to sustain our growth that, like our products, are robust enough to manage all the experiences required of them. We welcome employees and suppliers that have an inherent understanding of the need for these qualities in their work.
- we look to work with employees and suppliers that share the same values and ways of doing things
- we love to have fun in all that we do
- we are constantly learning and look for people that have an insatiable appetite to learn
- we work along the principles of ‘test and learn’ and ‘fail fast’ and are very comfortable to constantly test, rapidly fail and move forward with what works
- we are passionate about data as it feeds our ability to be constantly ‘aware’ of our customers and their needs
- we have an unquenchable bias for positive action
To apply, please submit a copy of your CV with examples of your portfolio (ideally covering film, photography and graphic design) demonstrating relevance to a brand like Maker&Son. Please also include a short video of yourself explaining why you think you are suited for the role.
Closing date 24 of November 2019.