Metaphor is seeking a graphic designer (part-time) to join its team in London.
Do you want to be part of a design team inspiring generations with powerful stories and beautiful design?
Do you have experience working on exhibitions?
Are you looking to start work as soon as possible?
We are a small, lively design practice looking for a talented, motivated and hard-working graphic designer to join our team. We have an exciting range of new projects, including large masterplans for national institutions, prestigious permanent gallery re-designs and thought-provoking temporary exhibitions.
We specialise in storytelling, and support our clients to educate audiences, provoke conversations and inspire change through creative storytelling and innovative design. Metaphor has recently relaunched with a new management team so there has never been a more exciting time to join us! You can find out more about who we are and what we do by visiting www.metaphor-design.co.uk.
If this sounds like you, please read the full job description and person specification below and apply today!
Salary: £30,000 pro-rata
Contract: Part-time, two days/week. Six-month contract with an evaluation to extend after 6 months. Start date as soon as possible.
How to apply
Please send your CV, a short portfolio and a cover letter addressing how you meet the criteria listed in the person specification to Katrina Dickinson, director of business development and marketing via the ‘apply’ link below.
Application deadline: Monday 15th March 2021, 5PM
Expected interview date: w/c 15th March
We are currently based in Croydon, London. Remote working will be available but a mix of home and office working will be required when it is safe to do so.
Job title: graphic designer
Responsible to: director of architecture and design
Duties and responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- producing graphics and content for social media, blog posts and newsletters
- developing marketing materials
- developing report and presentation templates (InDesign and PowerPoint)
- graphic design of panels for project exhibitions (including graphic hierarchies)
- producing graphic design content for both digital and print in exhibition spaces
- adjusting designs to take into account the context of different venues
- designing in line with accessibility requirements
- graphic art working for production/tender
- advise on substrates/materials/printing methods for graphic panels
- advise on typography to enhance the concept of the exhibition design
- incorporate photography and illustrations into graphic designs
- working with curators and Metaphor’s interpretation developer’s to evolve the content for the exhibition graphics
- managing multiple projects at once and prioritising tasks to meet tight deadlines
- effectively communicating and collaborating with sub-consultants to meet project and client requirements
- collaborating with the team in the development of new conceptual ideas and scheme designs
- providing creative responses to design briefs
- collaborating with the team to contribute to tender reports and interviews
- general administrative tasks
- demonstrating initiative in your own personal development and learning about the company, clients and industry
- a foundation degree, HND or degree in graphic design or other art and design-based subject – E
- one to two years’ experience in designing for exhibitions – E
- managing multiple projects at the same time and prioritising tasks to meet deadlines – E
- producing creative solutions to meet client requirements – E
- working in a design team to produce collaborative responses to design briefs – E
- design for digital and print – E
- VectorWorks 2D – D
- Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator – E
- SketchUp – E
- artworking – E
- typography – E
- editorial experience – E
- health and safety requirements for graphic design in exhibitions – E
- excellent design skills with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail – E
- strong interpersonal and communication skills – E
- organisational and time management skills – E
- ability to work independently and as part of a team – E
- ability to show initiative – E
- willingness to get involved in ad-hoc tasks as required by the business – E
- willing to adhere to Metaphor’s values – E
D = Desirable. E = Essential