Mous is seeking a design engineer to join its firm in London.
Mous is an exciting, young and rapidly growing lifestyle accessory start-up with a passion for elegant and innovative product design. In 2016, we launched our blockbuster crowdfunding campaign which raised $2.4 million and subsequently broke the record for the most crowdfunded mobile accessory ever! Not content with resting on our laurels, we were named the best ‘UK Crowdfunded Business of the Year in 2017’ and placed third in The Startups100’s in 2018!
After going from strength to strength, we are now diversifying our product range and are looking for a design engineer to come aboard! We’re looking for enthusiastic Engineers to join us in creating products for mass manufacture. Experience of designing products is important, but an eagerness to get stuck into design problems and creating brilliant, intuitive design is paramount.
About the role
As a design engineer at Mous, you’ll be the beating heart of the company, helping us to meet and exceed the requirements of our growing product range. In a multi-faceted role, you will be responsible for working with both the UK and China teams to aid us in diversifying our product range and driving the company forward. Although this role is based in the UK, you will be required to travel to China to work with our Mous R&D team to diagnose some of the problems at its root in the manufacturers. This will provide you with the opportunity to get hands on with Chinese manufacturers to understand how they work and to gain some valuable professional experience.
You’ll have the opportunity to engage with all departments across the business and you’ll be supported and mentored by all the founders and the wider R&D team as you go along. As an integral part of this early stage start up, you’ll have unlimited opportunity to grow within the business and to make a real tangible impact on the company.
Your responsibilities will include:
- taking ownership over the design and development of all Mous R&D projects, which will include:
- completing initial research both internally and externally
- initiating new product concepts and ideas
- developing product specifications and design briefs and validating them
- completing early stage design work – working with multiple parts and assemblies
- practical prototyping – working with 3D printers, CNC and workshop tools
- working with our Chinese manufacturers to make amendments and improvements to prototypes whilst managing quality control
- managing multiple projects simultaneously to ensure deadlines are met
- working within specific design guidelines, such as cost, weight or functional specification
- working with OEM parts and assemblies
- working with multiple bespoke parts and assemblies, managing time, cost and risk
- working alongside industrial designers in order to achieve both desired functionality and aesthetics
We need a leader, innovator, manager and researcher. We are looking for someone who is not afraid of a challenge and someone who constantly strives to achieve excellence in everything that they do. You’ll be eager to take ownership of tasks and projects from the start and juggling several tasks at once in an agile environment excites you! We are looking for someone who can generate sound ideas and engage with the engineering problems we face to help create better outcomes for both us and our customers. Someone who isn’t afraid of criticism but instead grows from it and challenges us to think differently about how we conduct our product development process. As well as some solid experience under your belt, you’ll have the drive and passion to innovate and push both the business and yourself to the next level.
- you’ll have graduated with at least a 2:1 degree in mechanical engineering or product design
- you’ll have at least two years’ experience within design engineering and a sound knowledge of product development through prototyping and testing
- you’ll ideally have experience working across the entire production process: from conceptualisation to manufacture, working with multiple parts and assemblies
- you’ll possess a sound knowledge of manufacturing processes such as plastics injection moulding, thermoforming, CNC, sheet metal bending, extrusion. Experience working with soft goods would be a huge plus!
- demonstrable evidence of delivering design solutions on time, to spec and within cost and budget parameters
- proficient using Excel or Google Sheets with the ability to produce complex reports
- highly competent in CAD Modelling and Surface Modelling using SolidWorks (Fusion 360 preferred)
- commercially aware, detail orientated whilst striving for continuous improvement
- strong presentation skills to communicate product ideas to external stakeholders
- willingness to travel to China to work in conjunction with our China team
What we offer
Based at our east London offices at a WeWork, you’ll be working in modern open plan offices surrounded by young creative and innovative businesses. With our own beer taps, happy hour Thursdays and regular team events, you’ll have the opportunity to play hard as well as work hard!
- competitive starting salary (DOE) and regular performance-based bonuses
- Charlie HR perks package including discounts on hundreds of high street brands and services
- employee pension scheme
- employee assistance programme
- great social environment with regular team outings
- discounts for F&F on Mous products
- opportunities are ridiculous – we are a high growth start-up and you’ll be joining at an early stage. Dream big, work hard and make things happen
Before you carry on with your day, check some of videos here: