Mous has an opportunity for a mechanical design engineer in Dongguan, China.
Mous is a young, disruptive and rapidly growing lifestyle accessory start-up. We provide smart solutions centred around protection and functionality that hold design and craft at their core. We’ve grown from a guerrilla crowdfunding campaign to an internationally recognised brand, shipping to almost every country in the world. We’ve made it our mission to disrupt the saturated lifestyle accessory market, whilst constantly pushing the boundaries of what it means to be an engaging brand. We knew that in order to achieve this, our products needed to be three things: stylish, functional and protective. After months and months spent designing and testing, we created our unique AiroShock technology and paired it with raw materials to launch our signature Limitless case.
…that was in 2016. Since then, we have rapidly developed and expanded our product range, offering a multitude of cases with an array of add-ons! We’ve also picked up numerous awards along the way, including best ‘UK Crowdfunded Business of the Year in 2017’ and coming 3rd in The UKStartups100’s in 2018!
After going from strength to strength (we hit annual revenue of £8.5M last year!), we are continuing to exceed the limits of what we can do and there has never been a busier time for us. We are looking for an experienced mechanical designer engineer to join our China team to take our products to the next level! We’re seeking those who challenge, who question, and who always look for new ways to improve products and solve problems.
About the role
As a mechanical design engineer at Mous, you’ll be the beating heart of the company, helping us to meet and exceed the requirements of our growing product range. You’ll be joining a dedicated and hardworking team made up of engineers, designers and operations personnel in our office in Dongguan, China. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with all departments across the business and you’ll be supported and mentored by all the founders and the wider R&D team as you go along. As an integral part of this early stage start-up, you’ll have unlimited opportunity to grow within the business and to make a real tangible impact on the company.
Your responsibilities will include:
- taking ownership over the design and development of your allocated Mous R&D project, which will include:
- completing initial research both internally and externally
- initiating new product concepts and ideas
- developing product specifications and design briefs and validating them
- completing early stage design work – working with multiple parts and assemblies
- practical prototyping – working with 3D printers, CNC and workshop tools
- managing our Chinese vendors to ensure that they are delivering prototypes and products that maintain our high-quality expectations and are in line with the design briefs
- managing multiple projects simultaneously to ensure deadlines are met
- analysing parts for DFM and issuing RFQ’s to suppliers
- working within specific design guidelines, such as cost, weight or functional specification
- working with OEM parts and assemblies
- working with multiple bespoke parts and assemblies, managing time, cost and risk
- working alongside industrial designers in order to achieve both desired functionality and aesthetics
- you’ll have graduated with at least a 2:1 degree in mechanical engineering or product design
- you’ll have at least two years’ experience within design engineering and sound knowledge of product development through prototyping and testing
- you’ll ideally have experience working across the entire production process: from conceptualisation to manufacturing, working with multiple parts and assemblies
- a broad understanding of different testing methodology with the ability to prove product attributes using data
- you’ll possess an in-depth knowledge of injection moulding and key DFM features needed to create a mass manufacturable product
- you will also be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of other manufacturing processes such as thermoforming, CNC, sheet metal bending, extrusion. Any experience working with soft goods would be an added bonus!
- you will understand and be familiar with various materials, from thermoplastics, composites, to metals
- demonstrable evidence of delivering design solutions on time, to spec and within cost and budget parameters
- proficient using Excel or Google Sheets with the ability to produce complex reports
- highly competent in CAD modelling and surface modelling using SolidWorks
- commercially aware, detail oriented whilst striving for continuous improvement
- strong presentation skills to communicate product ideas to external stakeholders
- fluent English speaking with excellent communications skills. Knowledge of Mandarin would be a huge plus!
- you are an adventurer, with prior experience of working in China or the desire to do so!
What we offer:
- a competitive starting salary with six-month reviews and subsidised living expenses
- a steep learning curve with the chance to make a tangible impact within a growing business
- the opportunity to gain first-hand exposure to Chinese manufacturing processes
- Charlie HR perks package including discounts on hundreds of high street brands and services
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and team away days
- employee pension scheme
- employee assistance programme
- discounts for F&F on Mous products
- huge opportunities for career progression in a high-growth start-up
Dream big, work hard and make things happen!
Want to know more about life at Mous? See what our employees think by clicking here.
Before you carry on with your day, check out some of videos here: