Mous is looking for a mechanical design engineer to join its team in London.
Mous is a young, disruptive and rapidly growing lifestyle accessory start-up. We provide smart solutions centred around protection and functionality that hold design and craft at their core. We’ve grown from a guerrilla crowdfunding campaign to an internationally recognised brand, shipping to almost every country in the world. We’ve made it our mission to disrupt the saturated lifestyle accessory market, whilst constantly pushing the boundaries of what it means to be an engaging brand. We knew that in order to achieve this, our products needed to be three things: stylish, functional and protective. After months and months spent designing and testing, we created our unique AiroShock technology and paired it with raw materials to launch our signature Limitless case.
That was in 2016. Since then, we have rapidly developed and expanded our product range, offering a multitude of cases with an array of add-ons! We’ve also picked up numerous awards along the way, including best ‘UK Crowdfunded Business of the Year in 2017’ and coming 3rd in The UKStartups100’s in 2018!
After going from strength to strength (we hit annual revenue of £8.5M last year), we are continuing to exceed the limits of what we can do and there has never been a busier time for us. We are looking for an experienced mechanical designer engineer to join our UK team to take our products to the next level! We’re seeking those who challenge, who question, and who always look for new ways to improve products and solve problems.
About the role
As a mechanical design engineer at Mous, you’ll be the beating heart of the company, taking ownership over numerous projects to drive the company forward. Reporting to our UK head of product (ex-Dyson), you will work collaboratively both within the Product team and across the wider business, ensuring that all departments stay up-to-date with key product developments. In order to aid communication between our UK and China teams, you will have the opportunity to travel to our manufacturers in Shenzhen for several weeks a year. Here, you will gain fantastic exposure to Chinese manufacturing methods and will aid in diagnosing core issues at their root in the manufacturers. As an integral part of our growing business, you’ll have unlimited opportunity for professional progression, making a tangible impact from day one. Your responsibilities will include:
Taking ownership over the design and development of your allocated Mous R&D project, which will include:
- completing initial research both internally and externally
- initiating new product concepts and ideas
- developing product specifications and design briefs and validating them
- completing early stage design work – working with multiple parts and assemblies
- practical prototyping – working with 3D printers, CNC and workshop tools
- managing our Chinese vendors to ensure that they are delivering prototypes and product that maintain our high-quality expectations and are in line with the design briefs
- managing multiple projects simultaneously to ensure deadlines are met
- working within specific design guidelines, such as cost, weight or functional specification
- working with OEM parts and assemblies
- working with multiple bespoke parts and assemblies, managing time, cost and risk
- working alongside industrial designers in order to achieve both desired functionality and aesthetics
- you’ll have graduated with at least a 2:1 degree in mechanical engineering or product design from a top university
- you’ll have at least three years’ experience within design engineering and sound knowledge of product development through prototyping and testing
- you’ll ideally have experience working across the entire production process: from conceptualisation to manufacturing, working with multiple parts and assemblies
- a broad understanding of different testing methodology with the ability to prove product attributes using data
- you’ll possess an in-depth knowledge of injection moulding and key DFM features needed to create a mass manufacturable product
- you will also be able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of other manufacturing processes such as thermoforming, CNC, sheet metal bending, extrusion. Any experience working with soft goods would be an added bonus
- you will understand and be familiar with various materials, from thermoplastics, composites, to metals
- demonstrable evidence of delivering design solutions on time, to spec and within cost and budget parameters
- proficient using Excel or Google Sheets with the ability to produce complex reports
- highly competent in CAD Modelling and Surface Modelling using SolidWorks
- commercially aware, detail oriented whilst striving for continuous improvement
- strong presentation skills to communicate product ideas to external stakeholders
- fluent English speaking with excellent communications skills. Knowledge of Mandarin would be a huge plus
- you are an adventurer, with prior experience of working in China or the desire to do so
What we offer
Based at our east London offices at a WeWork, you’ll be working in modern open plan offices surrounded by young creatives and innovative businesses. With our own beer taps, happy hour Thursdays and regular team events, you’ll have the opportunity to play hard as well as work hard.
- a competitive starting salary and six-month salary reviews
- the opportunity to flex your creative muscles in a highly collaborative business
- Charlie HR perks package including discounts on hundreds of high street brands and services
- employee pension scheme
- employee assistance programme
- outgoing and sociable team with regular company socials
- discounts for F&F on Mous products
- huge opportunities for career progression in a high-growth start-up
Dream big, work hard and make things happen!
Want to know more about life at Mous? See what our employees think by following this link.
Before you carry on with your day, check out some of videos here:
Please submit your CV, cover letter and portfolio using the ‘apply’ link below.