Neil Kahawatte Architects is seeking a project architect/job runner to join its team in London.
Neil Kahawatte Architects design and deliver high quality projects, with a focus on environmentally responsive contemporary design, often in sensitive or historic contexts. The practice guides its projects across all stages from concept to completion, providing a high level of service and support to its clients, and carefully managing the overall process of each project.
Neil is closely involved with each project, and his interests in both the material (craft, structure and tectonics) and the immaterial (climate, culture and time) aspects of architecture underpin the practice’s design approach. As well as private homeowners, recent clients have included; developers and landlords, small businesses, and a community nursery. The practice enjoys working on projects across a range of scales, and developing an elegant yet practical response to a design brief.
Based in the London borough of Islington, the practice comprises a small team, working collaboratively across projects in a supportive and friendly environment. Its studio is located between Archway and Tufnell Park, in a converted former school building overlooking central London. Projects are generally located across the London boroughs and the surrounding counties.
The practice is currently seeking a new addition to the team, capable of running individual projects across all stages and supporting the director in managing the practice more generally. As well as an interest in its design approach, the practice is seeking creative and conscientious individuals able to demonstrate a good grounding in the following areas:
- qualified, or working towards, ARB/RIBA Part 3 (or equivalent)
- minimum two years’ UK project running experience
- an organised and professional approach to all aspects of work
- rigorous and meticulous attention to detail
- experience administering traditional JCT building contracts
- good knowledge of architectural detailing, specification and technical design
- experience of UK planning, building regulations, and statutory processes
- good interpersonal skills, both internally with colleagues, and externally with clients, consultants and others
- good written and spoken English
- good numeracy and spatial understanding
- ability to manage and/or work in a small team
- ability to delegate and review the work of others
- self-motivated, productive, and resourceful
- a commitment to environmentally sustainable design and practice
- a concern for ethics and integrity in design and practice
- inquisitive and keen to learn and develop as a member of our team
The practice aims to offer successful candidates a good opportunity for development and promotion over time. It also offers a competitive starting salary (based on levels of qualification, experience, and ability), together with a workplace pension, and a good work-life balance. The following may also be beneficial, but are not essential:
- experience of 2D Drawing in Vectorworks
- experience of Microsoft Word and Excel
- experience of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- experience of 3D Rendering in V-Ray
- a Full UK Driving License
- availability to commence work within one month or less
Please send a short covering letter, outlining your reasons for applying, your salary expectations, and your availability, together with a CV and a selected portfolio, using the ‘apply’ link below. Applicants of interest can expect to receive a prompt response however, the practice regrets that due to volume of interest it cannot always respond to others.
Neil Kahawatte Architects is a RIBA chartered practice and an equal opportunities employer. No agency enquiries please.