Partisans is seeking an industrial designer to join its team in Toronto, Canada.
Industrial designer (furniture and lighting focused)
PARTISANS, internationally acclaimed design and architecture studio located in Toronto, Canada is hiring and we want you to join our diverse team of young dynamic thinkers and doers.
We are looking for a motivated industrial furniture designer to enhance our design team’s capacity and add to the vision of developing new furniture concepts, refining models and building prototypes. You will be involved in the crafting and technical design of Wrmth products and assisting optimizations for testing and assembly as we continue to grow. Our ideal candidate is quick on their feet and can provide insight and experience as we continue to strive toward innovation.
PARTISANS is specializes in the integration of design and technology, invention and programming, culture and creativity. We work at all scales from furniture design to towers and urbanscapes, working with private, commercial and government entities.
We are an equal opportunity employer and invite people that demand rigour and an entrepreneur’s mindset to apply. We offer a competitive salary, bonuses based on merit and a chance to grow and contribute meaningfully. We employ a system of OKRs that help build measurable goals for our team members and the business. Our studio is the place where we inspire and learn from each other, although we are open to suitable candidates participating remotely.
Job duties and responsibilities:
- design new lines and families of furniture and other products alongside the partners at the studio
- organization of digital assets
- coordination with fabricators and keeping multiple conversations moving
- assisting in physical prototyping (3D printing, soldering, etc.)
- problem-solving and design refinement of furniture models for production (DFM)
- modelling and refining of furniture designs
- designing manufacturing processes and specialized equipment
- post-secondary degree (or equivalent) in industrial design, architecture, or similar
- good general understanding of 3D software and the basic toolset: Rhino, SolidWorks, Fusion 360, ACAD. Extras: Grasshopper, Xbrush, etc.
- proficiency in 2D graphics software, preferably Illustrator and Photoshop
- a passion for making and designing
- proficiency in “freeform” software (Rhinoceros preferred)
- proficiency in CAD/CAM software (Fusion preferred)
- understanding of the differences between sculpting and CAD software (Rhino vs Solidworks)
- basic understanding of electronics
- knowledge of programming (C)
- experience and comfort in the workshop (woodworking, casting)
Qualified candidates should submit their CV and portfolio, along with a brief cover letter explaining why their qualifications are a good fit, salary expectations and career aspirations via the apply for job button below. Please identify the position being sought in the subject.