Design lead – architect or interior designer
at Patch Places
Patch Places has an opportunity for an architect/interior designer design lead to join its team in London.
Patch is an ambitious, early stage startup on a mission to create opportunity for people, work and community on every UK high street.
We are doing this by creating a new national network of neighbourhood workspaces and cultural venues. You’re invited to join us in building our Work Near Home vision – and make the future of work, culture and community more accessible to everyone.
At Patch we transform overlooked buildings with distinctive character into design-led spaces as new centres for local life. This includes everything from former breweries and public libraries to new-build town squares. Our spaces have a strong community focus – with publicly accessible cafes and bars, flexible learning and events spaces and retail to support local makers. Our workspaces support flexible work patterns for entrepreneurs, established local businesses and those starting out.
The first Patch opened in 2021 and after a recent fundraise, we have ambitious plans to launch several new spaces each year, targeting 20 more sites in the next three years. We are looking for a design partner to support our creative director and head of product Paloma Strelitz, co-founder of impact-focused architecture and design studio Assemble, (winners of the Turner Prize, 2015.) You can read her vision for Patch & the power near and a Dezeen interview here.
Patch has a strong social focus and this role offers huge room for personal growth. Keep reading if you’re excited about joining an ambitious startup, building the Work Near Home vision and working alongside our brilliant Patch team.
This role is for an outstanding individual with a background in architecture or interior design who wants to take a leading role supporting the concept, design and delivery of new Patch spaces, as we move from opening one site to five sites each year, then more.
Your north star will be helping support the design and delivery of Patch spaces to create a fantastic experience for our members and for the wider community. You will frequently work on new challenges and will be supported by a talented team from different disciplines. Together, we will build the role around your strengths.
Your responsibilities include the following (you are not required to have direct experiences in all areas – but please help us understand your key strengths):
- to champion the Patch design-led value proposition across our team, spaces and products
- produce feasibility, concept design and layout drawings for new Patch spaces
- work closely with consultants, suppliers and contractors, across the design and construction process to deliver high quality, design-led spaces that reflect Patch’s values
- responsibility for FF&E specification, with order and installation to timelines
- oversee several projects simultaneously, including working with project managers, consultants, suppliers and contractors to ensure that projects are delivered on time and on budget
- be engaged in ideas and trends across the worlds of workspace, cultural spaces and community spaces
- work closely with Patch’s head of product, to ideate and develop new ideas across spaces and products around Patch and the Work Near Home work
You will receive meaningful equity, huge freedom for personal growth and the opportunity to meaningfully inform the Patch vision as we scale. We are building a strong culture of people development, led by the founder’s passion for the subject.
What we’re looking for
We believe that building the very best company means we bring the very best people into the company, regardless of race, gender, background, religion, disability or sexuality. If you’re as excited as we are about the Work Near Home vision, we want to hear your voice.
Technical requirements (you are not required to have direct experiences in all areas – but please help us understand your key strengths):
- an architecture or interior architecture / design degree or equivalent qualification
- skilled at thinking creatively and visualising design concepts in order to explain these to others
- ability to work effectively on multiple design projects at once whilst maintaining high standards of work
- highly computer literate with knowledge of design packages (in your CV please clearly indicate which programmes you have most experience in)
- previous experience at every stage of the design process from concept to completion
- experience of project management in order to work effectively with the Patch team, contractors, consultants and suppliers
- first principles thinking, willing and able to figure out knotty problems without prior knowledge. You are resourceful, action orientated and motivated
- curiosity and optimism. You don’t know what the future looks like but you’re constantly thinking about how it could be better and you’re even more excited about building it
- it’s what you’re capable of doing, not necessarily what you’ve already done
- we endeavour to build a team that reflects the diversity of our customers
Our social and environmental ambitions will resonate strongly with you. Everyone’s long term compensation plans are in part linked to the company’s performance against impact goals.
Your new team
We are a diverse and passionate group, with strong track records in startups, design, property and hospitality. We are all motivated by a vision of inclusive development – and the opportunity to create a more accessible future world of work. We have applied for B Corp status. Read more about us here.
Patch launched its first site in late 2021 and was profitable within six months. In 2022 we raised financing from investors behind some of the UK’s favourite challenger brands, including JamJar (Deliveroo, Oatly, PopChips, Who Gives a Crap?) and Active Partners (Soho House, Leon, Rapha). We’re now on track to open several more locations this year, then doubling our sites each year.
The first application deadline is Friday 10 March and we hope to appoint the successful candidate by the end of March.
Please share a CV and digital portfolio via the apply for job button below, with ‘Design Lead – [your name]’ as the subject line.
Please ensure that the portfolio is no more than 20 pages and clearly illustrates examples working across concept, design and construction/fabrication.
In your CV please also clearly indicate which CAD and design software you have experience with.
If successful, you’ll be invited to join a video call with our head of product.
Following this will be another video call with our founder and an on site interview.
The role requires you to be in person, in London, three days a week. Applicants must already have the right to work in the UK.