Paul Smith is recruiting for an assistant furniture designer to join its London-based office.
Reporting to the senior and lead designers, the successful candidate will assist with delivering multiple projects at one time, to set critical paths and budgets. The role will involve working within a team and providing creative designs, furniture, fixtures and equipment (FF&E) packages, technical drawings and specifications for franchise and wholesale retail projects, in the UK and internationally.
- work alongside the senior and lead designers to design luxury store FF&E and bespoke furniture
- to contribute to research concepts and sample boards for new projects, ensuring the designs meet commercial and aesthetic requirements
- responsible for preparation of furniture presentations and prototyping
- to order samples/products and liaise with suppliers
- ensuring furniture designs and renovations meet the established design quality expectations including brand relevance, new concepts, aesthetic and quality standards
- provide solutions to deliver change to improve manufacturing schedules, costs and quality. Investigate local and overseas manufacturing for review.
- travelling to manufacturers and suppliers to review and investigate samples
Essential experience and skills required:
- a minimum of a 2:1 BA Hons furniture and product design or equivalent qualification
- highly computer literate with knowledge of design packages including Vectorworks and Solidworks
- demonstrated experience in high end bespoke furniture design environment
- the ability to effectively work on multiple design projects at once while producing excellent, accurate & detailed drawings and specifications to set deadlines
- able to work effectively with manufacturers and suppliers
- excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- highly organised with exceptional prioritisation and planning skills
- ability to think conceptually and feel comfortable joining projects after concept stages
- excellent eye for design including colour and good 3D awareness
- ability to follow a brief and communicate technical and design issues verbally and through drawing
- highly self-motivated with the ability to work to own initiative and meet key deadlines
- a team member who has the ability to deal with people at all levels
In addition to the annual salary this role attracts:
- a generous clothing allowance
- discretionary discount on PSL goods
- an annual leave entitlement of 28 days, inclusive of bank holidays increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 33 days
Please note this role requires that you submit a link within the application form, to a colour portfolio containing work examples totalling no more than ten pages – this should be available for four weeks after the advert closing date.
How to apply
Please apply for this role on our internal portal.
On applying please include:
- cover letter
- your current salary and salary expectations
This position is only available to applicants based in the European Union