Product development manager
at Porta Romana
Porta Romana has a vacancy for a product development manager to join its team in Farnham, UK.
British lighting and furniture brand Porta Romana has a reputation for creating original, distinctive and timeless designs, produced using the finest craftsmanship. Working with a talented team of in-house artists and local makers, the Porta Romana collection is made up of lighting and furniture, which sit alongside capsule collections produced in collaboration with artists including & Objects, Viola Lanari, Tord Boontje, Kit Kemp, Dylan Bowen and Gareth Devonald Smith. The diverse collection spans many styles appealing to both designers and architects with a modern and classic aesthetic. Sustainability is a strong focus for Porta Romana, we are continuing our commitment, by experimenting with new materials and producing designs with the least impact on the environment as possible.
Porta Romana is seeking an exceptional candidate to fill the role of product development manager.
An energetic, team leader with strong technical skills who thrives on the possibilities and challenges of creating exceptional hand crafted products. With a keen in interest in the interior design industry, trends and technical developments to contribute authoritatively to product strategy and excited to push the boundaries in materials and technologies. With full responsibility for the development process, from concept to launch, our product development manager will work directly with our founder and creative director, supported by a generous origination budget and strong team.
- managing new product development process from concept to launch, introducing innovative technologies, testing that new products are fit for purpose and delivered on budget and in line with the launch plan
- creating technical drawings and prototypes, drawing on the skills of our makers and internal assembly and workshop teams
- producing technical 3D drawings (Solidwork’s platform) and 3D design for prototypes
- managing the supplier/maker role in product development, negotiating and signing off technical specification and costings for both new product and any existing product changes, often in tandem with purchasing manager
- expanding our supplier base to new materials, skills, techniques and improved price points or quality
- managing all design collaborations from concept to delivery including scope of collaboration and contractual terms
- supporting technical team with the creation of new product build and wiring specifications and for bespoke customer projects
- managing design registration process
- management of the product team including recruitment and development
- involvement in special projects i.e trade shows, marketing projects, internal initiatives requiring technical design input
- experience in developing designs from creative concept to manufacture with three to four years’ relevant work experience
- with a degree in product design or engineering and an impressive knowledge of materials
- software skills, proficient in AutoCAD, Solidworks (ideally with Visualize) and the Adobe Package
- good understanding of 3D printing software inc. Blender, Cura, Meshmixer
- a strong communicator and team leader
- with strong commercial and negotiating skills
Salary and benefits
Basic salary £40,000 -£45,000 depending on experience, with generous bonus scheme.
How to apply
Please submit your covering letter, CV and portfolio (outlining your salary expectations) via the apply for job button below.