Publica has an opening for a personal assistant to join its practice in London.
Publica is a research and urban design agency that works at a variety of scales, from the detailed design of a single street to setting the vision and strategy for an entire district. We are an ambitious and energetic company that advises local authorities, landowners, developers, architects and community organisations, both in London and abroad. Our projects are driven by rigorous analysis of place and context, combining active, in-depth fieldwork and documentation with an ongoing study of international best practice.
Publica’s team has detailed knowledge and understanding of urban conditions, coupled with a high level of technical expertise in the fields of public realm and urban design, strategic planning, research, film production, communications and graphic design. We place great emphasis on producing engaging, informative and accessible communications material as an integral part of our project work, in the dissemination of our research, and as a tool for advocating for a holistic, evidence-based approach to urban growth.
This position is responsible for providing full administrative and executive support to the founding director and the director of business and operations, carrying out a range of administrative duties to support the smooth and effective running of the practice and its business development. This position requires a high degree of responsibility, discretion and confidentiality.
- diary management, efficiently managing and booking meetings internally and externally, client liaison, build and maintain cooperative relationships with colleagues of all levels, arrange meetings, coordinate personal organisation, provide updates of projects and appointments, assist with specific project work and secretarial support when required
- email management for Lucy Musgrave; reading emails, redirecting as appropriate, alerting where further action is required and prompting when due. Prioritise incoming communication, to filter client care and sales conversations and action appropriate correspondence. Passing project matters to the relevant person for action, email archiving as appropriate
- daily updates with each director to discuss diary, ensuring proactive planning for the week ahead, keeping track of actions and managing the directors ‘to do’ lists. Effective planning and managing of workload, proactively deal with questions and information requests
- coordinating overseas conference calls/video conference calls and managing different time zones
- managing the directors’ paperwork and filing including personal filing; printing relevant documents in preparation of meetings, seek out archived documents and collate materials
- ensuring travel arrangements for the directors; coordinating travel itineraries and administering the timely procurement of travel documentation, providing detailed travel itineraries where required and ensuring that relevant business material pertaining to each trip is collated and presented well ahead of time
- research and implement improved systems for core areas of responsibility, including directors email archive, diary, contacts database and mailing lists
- understanding and keeping abreast of domestic commitments
- completing expense forms and receipt reconciliation on a monthly basis with the bookkeeper
- completing the directors’ timesheets on a weekly basis
- assist with queries and issues regarding the directors’ IT equipment; computer, mobile phone, laptop
Practice diary management:
- overall responsibility in managing the office-wide diary and overseeing the smooth running of internal/external project meetings
- coordinate leadership meetings with the studio manager, ensuring meeting rooms are set up
- diary planning of key internal strategy meetings, annual appraisals etc
Sales and business development:
- the PA will be expected to develop a sound knowledge of clients, support the director and the sales team, keeping abreast of sales conversations
- contribute to a proactive approach to business development
- help identify and assess opportunities
- coordinating sales meetings; updating actions lists and potential leads, taking minutes to distribute notes and actions to attendees. Maintain and oversee client database and develop CRM system
- building relationships and representing organisation; build and maintain a cooperative relationship with colleagues of all levels both internally and externally. Prudently handling confidential and highly sensitive information on a regular basis and acting as a discreet sounding board for the director and other colleagues
- attending senior management team meetings, taking minutes to distribute notes and actions to attendees
- assisting the communications and marketing manager with maintaining and updating Publica’s contacts database
- general office support
- assisting the admin team, answering incoming phone calls, redirecting and taking messages where required
- greeting external visitors when required and directing them to the relevant director/project team member/meeting room, organising provisions (food/drink as required) and clearing away after with the assistance of the admin team
- helping to maintain a neat and tidy office environment at all times
- general tasks as they arise relating to the day-to-day running of the office as assigned by the studio manager
- attending and engaging in internal social events such as stories, screenings and open studio events
Skills and experience required:
- able to demonstrate proficiency in the responsibilities of the role
- excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, articulate and diplomatic manner
- experience in handling sensitive information and ensuring confidentiality at all times
- strong attention to detail ensuring a high degree of accuracy and quality
- excellent organisational skills; able to manage and prioritise tasks independently and as part of an effective team
- excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with all levels of management and staff, both internally and externally
- proven skills in a business development environment
- able to work under pressure and ability to prioritise while remaining calm and professional at all times
- ability to multitask
- a pro-active and enthusiastic approach with a willingness to learn and keen to contribute to the development of the company
- a flexible approach to the job to ensure that duties are properly performed, and the operational demands of the business are met
Negotiable based on experience.
Please submit CV and cover letter using the ‘apply’ link below.